Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHavequestions

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
I currently have an Otterbox Defender, and it makes me feel like the phone can go through almost anything. With a smaller case like Lifeproof, will it offer similar protection against drops? I love how it's waterproof.

----------

Also, iLounge says that the screen is a little to far from the phone and takes sensitivity away from the ability to control it with a light touch. Is this true?

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/lifeproof-cases-lifeproof-for-iphone-4/

VydorScope

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Also, iLounge says that the screen is a little to far from the phone and takes sensitivity away from the ability to control it with a light touch. Is this true?

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/lifeproof-cases-lifeproof-for-iphone-4/

This was fixed in the 2nd Gen case (which I have). It is not as sensitive as naked screen, but pretty close.

----------

I currently have an Otterbox Defender, and it makes me feel like the phone can go through almost anything. With a smaller case like Lifeproof, will it offer similar protection against drops? I love how it's waterproof.

Go to their site, and watch their videos on what they due to the phone. I do not plan to drop test mine, but all the reviews I read/watch pretty much said the case performs as advertised.

There IS a problem with the 4s light sensor though. The auto-dim will not work with it, but they plan to fix that in November and give everyone a free upgrade to the fixed case.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.

----------

Yes, I've already dropped my 4s twice, the case took it like a champ.

jduff

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
A², MI
I had a few experiences with LifeProof. First experience was great, phone was waterproof, and I was taking some great underwater video etc. Then the ear piece film ripped out without warning and my phone got water damaged.

Paid to have my iPhone replaced, got a new case sent from LifeProof, good to go! Not so fast, had the case on my phone for 2 weeks and notices the volume/vibrate toggle switch area had a rip around it (from everyday use for 2 weeks) and yet again my phone had been water damaged from water leaking from this rip.

Had an extra LifeProof case, and sold it. Obviously I didn't have the best experience. I agree its an innovative idea, I just think that any time you put your phone in/near water you are running a risk of damage. I wouldn't recommend it.

jd

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I know someone whose son was showing off his iPhone 4 in the Lifeproof case. He was dropping it lightly on the ground and about the third time the screen cracked. Just don't go around showing it off, I guess.

VydorScope

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
I know someone whose son was showing off his iPhone 4 in the Lifeproof case. He was dropping it lightly on the ground and about the third time the screen cracked. Just don't go around showing it off, I guess.

Oh, I think that is true of all of them. I have heard the same stories about otter box... the case for me is a chance for a second chance, not an invincible shield.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
Oh, I think that is true of all of them. I have heard the same stories about otter box... the case for me is a chance for a second chance, not an invincible shield.

+1 on this. I would not drop my phone on purpose just to to show the case off. Although I have dropped it twice already, so I probably only have one more stirke and I'm out:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.