Lifespan expectancy of DVD’s/CD’s?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Temujin, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Does anyone know the lifespan expectancy of writable DVD’s/CD’s and software DVD’s/CD’s?

2. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Somewhere I read that the shelf-life of an unrecorded disc is 5 to 10 years.

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Some have said that on older cds, let's say in the last 7-10 years that one may need to watch for "cd rot" since the cds back then didn't use what they now do today.
    Nice post cr2sh. I know that some of my comerical cds that I got many moons ago suffer an uneven change (flat color or change of color) on the read side and this maybe the "rot" that some describe. That's the only thing that I've seen with cds thus far but maybe in 20 years I'll find out more...well I hope not ;)

4. jer446 macrumors 6502a

if its that big of a deal to you, in ten years, why not just transfer it onto new media?

5. Temujin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Temujin

I was especially thinking of my original old computer games. Would be a shame to lose them.

My data can always be restored on stuff like Blue Ray, no prop there.

6. DVDowner macrumors newbie

DVD Industry

Does anyone have a idea on the lifespan expectancy of DVD’s/CD’s industry?
    Or what is next in line.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

CD, DVD, Blu-ray, HVD, and then probably PCD, provided that we don't kill optical media after Blu-ray.

Because there will be little incentive for a spinning disk by 2016.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My running theory, o thread necromancer, is that file downloads (iTunes, etc) will continue to eat away at music CD's without the need for a replacement to the CD technology for most users (with a small subset of the advanced CD / DVD-Audio type formats for niche users).

As for video, I will throw out the controversial prediction that download / stream videos will catch up and displace optical media before BD reaches a high rate of market coverage, and that optical media for movies will also decline.

For software distribution, I'm not sure, but DVD-DL already offers a lot of space and BD data discs should be fine for taking the industry quite a ways forward, and then ultimately I think more and more software will also be distributed via the internet and software media will also go into decline.

After that, man will create the Cylons. They will rebel and evolve, coming to look and feel human and act like your annoying younger sister. There will be many copies, and they will have a plan, which won't work very well but will involve a gratuitous budget for designer wardrobe.

9. DVDowner macrumors newbie

Where can I find out more about PCD?

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There's not a lot to be said about protein-coated disks right now, really.

Experimental tech that will theoretically allow for 240TB on one standard-size disk.

But, again, there's really no point to it. By the time it is developed to market, NAND flash media (and solid state hard drives) will have been developed to a point that people will use only that.