Lifetime Warrantee?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Benjamindaines, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Why don't computers come with a lifetime warrantee? Yes I understand that certain parts (Hard drive) will fail and that's not Apple's fault, but I want my hardware covered. The last thing I want to deal with is having a fan blow1 out and have to take my MacBook apart to fix it. I don't even have a problem with paying $100 a year past AppleCare, I just don't want to have to pay huge labor fees or risk bricking my computer after the warrantee is up.

1 No pun intended.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Some of the Limited Lifetime Warranties are crap, they usually just warranty the product until it breaks -- that being the life of the product.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It would not be cost effective for Apple to give you a lifetime warranty. What happens when you bring in a broken ass piece of **** that's 10 years old. Are they supposed to still have hardware on hand to prop it up? Would $100 a year come close to covering the cost for them? Not likely.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

as yellow says it wouldn't be effective.

perhaps an extended applecare coverage would work though. something more like 5 years instead of 3.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Exactly.

Customer: "But the warranty said that it's covered for a lifetime!"

Company: "And it's lifetime is now over; so no warranty."

Customer: "But..."

6. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

I had people I know who had like the extended store warranty, when there computer went BAM! the warranty was soo shady, one case the built-in graphics card didnt work and the tech told them to buy a new graphics card. I told them its not a smart comment since the graphics card can possibly be beginning of a motherboard failing.

Then CD Rom messed up and replaced it with used up DVD Rom, I am like it may be upgrade but its used and I dont know where it came from.

Anyway to me computers(most household) arent worth getting warranty.

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

It's a pain when computers go out of warranty to be sure, that's usually when they start to go down the pan in my experience with my Dell's. Still, they're a tad more user serviceable than most Apple products!

We're just not very good at building things to last.

8. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Thats the purpose of many companies, even new cars are made to break down after certain time so you have to get another one since you are dependent on them. Its a sad reality.

9. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

That shouldn't be legal, not to mention they should be making a business of making and selling cars / computer, not one for fixing them.

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

What would you be willing to pay for this lifetime warranty?

11. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I would love it to be included with AppleCare (current price) but I would like to pay 100 - 150 for each extra year.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Exactly.

It's called a lease. You lease a computer with a three year extended warranty, on a three year lease, turn it in on a new one every three years, and it will cost you approximately $75 per month or $ 900 per year (give or take depending on the power and feature level.)

That's how you get a lifetime warranty machine.