Light or heavy sleeper?

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Mar 26, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Are you a light or heavy sleeper. I wish I was the former but I'm the latter most of the time. When I'm sleeping deep it'd take a grenade under the bed to wake me up.
    My mother was a light sleeper but my father sleeps like a log. Unfortunately I got his sleeping DNA.
    What makes one person one or the other? What's the science behind it?

2. macka macrumors regular

I'm a light sleeper. I can awake easily but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll get out of bed... :p

I doubt there is a genetic factor involved when it comes to that...the hypothalamus, a section of the forebrain is predominately responsible for regulatory functions such as sleeping patterns...of course there are seasonal factors as well as stress, time of sleep, health and wellbeing which should be taken into account...for example I'm a lighter sleeper during times of stress, like exams but sleep more heavily when I'm least active like in the holidays.

*tsss* I can feel a heated debate coming on...I'll sleep on that one. :D

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have trouble getting to sleep, I often lie in bed for over an hour before I fall asleep. However, once I'm asleep, I tend to sleep quite well - I sleep right through the cat "singing" in the morning, but you can easily wake me up if you want to. And I've hardly ever slept through my alarm, the only time I have, I found that I was lying on it and therefore couldn't hear it at all (I use my watch as an alarm and I wear it to bed, go read the watch thread :)).

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Light sleeper. I am the one who hears the phone. I am the one who wakes up when anyone else in the house heads for the can.

I need it dark and quiet.

Its a good thing I only need 4 hours or so otherwise I couldn't function.

(admittedly though I can be a heavy sleep when I am only getting the 4)

5. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

mmm I can sometimes wake up if the phone goes off, or not wake up when someone flicks my ear :D i think im more of a heavy sleeper though hehe

6. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Started out in my 20's and 30's as an exceptionally heavy sleeper, as I age it's getting to where the sound of a moth in the room wakes me up. Paxil really helps, by the way.

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

When I was a teen, I once slept thru police & paramedics coming thru my dad's house, to aid my sister's friend who was having a seizure in the bedroom nextdoor.

I've also been known to hold conversations with people & not have a clue of it.

Heavy. ;)

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

if i have a good 12 hours sleep (no joke, this is my weekend), i'll wake up slightly and be a light sleeper... anything less than 12 hours, like the 5-6 i normally get, and it's a fight to get me awake in the morning. thankfully my partner is able to wake me up on his way to work, because i have yet to find an alarm clock that can get my attention (i've sleepwalked across the room to turn them off before)...

mmm... sleep... ack, i should't be visiting a thread describing sleeping, only a couple hours after i get up ;)

paul

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If I fall asleep watching TV I will typically dismiss people telling me to get up and go to bed...then I'll sleepwalk to the loo and wake up to brush my teeth.

10. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i sleep so heavily it's not even funny. ever since i was a kid i've had this problem. when i was a kid i fell off the top bunk on my bunk bed and landed on the ground (luckily i pulled the blanket and pillow down with me) and was still asleep when my mother came running into the room to see what was up. usually after 8 hours (and i mean NO less than 8 hours) i can wake up ok when my alarm clock is at full volumn. actually my alarm clocks has two alarms on it so first i have the radio blaring a local rock station then the most annoying beeping the thing has... still takes me 30 on average to wake up (1 and a half hours this morning though).

when i still lived at home it was much easier to get up becausei had an alarm clock on my computer which was hooked up to my stereo and i would just BLARE music. i would just casually get up (sometimes it took me a while). i'll never forget when a friend of mine spent the night for the first time. morning came around and for some reason i woke up 1 minute before the alarm and when the alarm clock went off his whole body lifted straight off the couch about a foot and it looked like he had just **** himself... hahahahahahahahaha, i'll never forget that one.

11. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I sleep like a log. I really ticks off my wife, because she tosses and turns for an hour or so before nodding off. I just roll over (or not :p ), and I'm out like a light.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i am a light sleeper, everything can wake me up at night, unless i am sick and taking NyQuil i never sleep deeply....but then again i am one of those people who doesnt need much sleep to function properly, 5-6 and im usually good, although i try to get 7-8 in whenever possible, i am also one of those people who can never fall asleep right away, i could have gotten 2 hours of sleep the night before but i still wont be able to fall asleep in less than a half hour....sucks big time, oh well

have a good nights rest everybody, even though its morning here right now.....

13. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    yeah, heavy sleeper here, i'll be asleep anywhere, and right away too. i slept through a shooting outside my apartment window, and apparently last week there were a load of fire trucks outside and i slept through that too. nothing wakes me. although i am getting better with emergency things.

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

You know that NyQuil is mostly alcohol, right?

Errrr, maybe I shouldn't have told you that. :eek:

Every night I struggle to get to sleep. Most often I'm awake for a full hour...sometimes it takes me an hour and a half, and other times, two full hours. Also, I have the tendency to wake up without any "trigger" sounds at 3:30 or so. (I know because I check my watch, which has a little button for luminosity), then in a minute flat I would go back to sleep...wake up about 80 minutes later, back to sleep in a minute flat...so I sleep the best in the early morning. That is a bad thing for me on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday (when I have morning classes), because the travel time to college is never under an hour.

And I dislike alarm clocks, because they are loud and startle me (if I were to wake up to a resounding alarm from one of them), and I hate being startled in a sudden manner, like the alarm of an alarm clock changing the avg. volume of my room from 15dB (I keep a fan on in my room while I sleep so there isn't complete silence), to 60+dB in less than 0.25 seconds.

15. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I refuse to go to bed until I'm tired because I can't hack that 1-2 hours of tossing and turning. I get frustrated, then angry, and usually end of giving up and getting up.

My problem is that I can't get sleepy after 8pm. I'll be drowsy all afternoon and early evening, but I'm wide awake after 8 and it's hard to get to bed before 1 or 2.

Lately, though, I've been doing melatonin therapy with great success. I'm also having more dreams with it. I almost never dream. So I guess that makes me a light sleeper, but I don't usually wake up in the night. I just don't dream easily.

When I was younger I was a terribly light sleeper, but that's because I had a really bad conscience tormenting me all the time. I thought I was a terrible person, and I couldn't sleep. Once I cleared up my life, I started sleeping a helluva lot better.

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sometimes it takes me almost one second to fall asleep. Usually it's much shorter; I fall asleep as my head descends toward the pillow. I sleep 7 hours, wake up at the time I decided to get up (brain-based alarm clock, don't use a real alarm clock), and I'm off and running again. Up until the moment before I go to sleep, I can work on a hobby, come home from a night out on the town, watch a scary movie, exercise, eat a snack, or do anything else, without disturbing my sleep. I know I'm lucky to be able to sleep so well.

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I hate just about everything about my sleeping habits.

I can never get to sleep (I have slight insomnia), but when I do I can never wake up :p. And if I can manage to find an alarm loud/annoying enough to wake me up, I turn it off in my sleep. I have to put my phone on its loudest setting and then put it all the way across the room where I have to get out of bed to turn it off.

I really don't wake up till about 4th period ;). My mom often tells me stuff in the morning and I don't remember it later in the day. She will often say "don't your remember the conversation we had this morning?" or something to that effect, and truthfully I don't.

I'm not a morning person at all. It is best to just get out of my way if you see me before 11. :p.

scem0

18. boomtopper macrumors member

boomtopper

I am a very heavy sleeper. When my mum tries and wakes me i wake up for a second then as soon as she goes i fall asleep again. And i find it imposibble to go to sleep.
    I have tried super strength nytol but gives me very strange dreams!

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

My sis used to sleepwalk when we were kids. It freaked me out bad. She looked like a zombie! :eek: :D

20. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it true that if you wake someone who is sleepwalking you will seriously mess them up?
    And what about someone who is having night terrors? My father has them every now and then. We just usually leave him be.

21. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

That's funny. My wife used to tell me stuff 1st thing in the morning, or after I went to bed. Unfortunately, I wouldn't remember what she had said; or worse, that I had agreed to whatever she said!! :D

BTW, I also had to move my alarm across the room. I also have an annoying habit of hitting snooze 4-5 times before getting up. :p

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I happen to be a heavy sleeper, once I fall asleep, out till morning.

My wife is a light sleeper. It seems that more women are light sleepers. It's the mothers instinct to watch out for her young.

23. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I'm a deep sleeper - but there are things that I subconsciously listen for to wake me up.

• If there's been a fight outside my house between drunken morons who have just come away from the pub late at night - I sleep through it.

• If my home gets hit by lightning (and fries EVERY electrical appliance in the house in the process) - I sleep through it.

• If my little boy quietly calls to me in the middle of the night from the other end of the house because he wants a glass of water - I wake up...

Also, I'll wake up at the mere "hint" of a sound if I have to start early in the morning (the fear of unemployment hangs over my head if I'd ever slept through my alarm, so as a safeguard, I usually set 3 of them...).

;)

24. neon macrumors member

light, but terrible at waking up because i HAVE to

alarm 1: my phone, by my pillow. usually set to snooze in my sleep so i never realise it's gone off
    alarm 2: beeping clock, next to my bed, turned off within about 0.25 seconds of it going off. no consideration given to the fact that it means i should get up, i simply turn over and fall back asleep within another 0.25 seconds
    alarm 3: another beeping clock sat on my desk, the idea being i have to get out of bed to turn it off. but if i lean real far i can reach it, retreat back under the covers and pretend i don't have to be up for hours
    alarm 4: not an alarm as such but i leave my computer on at night, and have the screensaver as just a black screen. so i set my anti-virus to run daily at 6.30 a.m., this knocks the screensaver off and the room becomes light filled, gets me up without failure... with much cursing :p

when i don't have to be up though, i can be awake, showered, dressed and fed before 7am without much effort :confused:

25. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I know what you mean! Sometimes when I get up to go to the loo at 4am, I don't feel tired. But I go back to bed afterwards, then the alarm goes off at 6:45 and I'm tired! Fortunately I only have to get up early on Thursday and Friday :)