Light Scribe

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by slipper, Feb 20, 2005.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

wow, i woke up this morning and flipped thru the channels and saw an HP computer for sale. It had this one feature called Light Scribe (lightscribe.com). I really hope macs start incorporating that in the near future also.

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

3. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I saw this advertised at CompUSA the other day. Seems kinda cool. Basically what it does is creates labels for the CD or DVD in the drive, or at least that is my understanding. Does anyone know how this works?? I am guessing it needs some special discs and the image is burned on. I don't think there is ink. That would be weird, going to buy ink for your DVD burner.

*Edit* Mabye I should have read the site to find out that it is a laser that burns the image.

4. topspin98 macrumors member

Mac Mall

Just look on MacMall.com or www.cdw.com, look under external drives and their you go!

Lacie I believe is one of the brands.

Light Scribe is capable on your mac if its there

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

This is how lightscribe works:
    Once your dvd is finished, take it out of the drive, flip it over, and put it back in the same drive. The drive will sense that it is on the side to be enscribed. Using software included, you make a label thats is monochrome. The front side of the dvd has a chemical coating that reacts to light produced by the laser. The laser shoots the image onto the disk and a chemical reaction occurs creating the image. A pretty simple concept when you think about it.

This does require a special kind of disk, btw. I'm inclined to think that any drive is capable of this with the right software and lightscribe disk.

6. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

No, unfortunately the drive need to support it too. I've also read that it's painfully slow... meaning that even just writing some text takes a long time. I'm sure it'll improve though.

7. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I'm about to buy an inkjet printer that will do CDs/DVDs (for £80). Printable DVDs are about the same price as any others now. Has Lightscribe really got anything better to offer? While my monochrome design (done in some proprietry software which I may dislike) is etched very slowly by my DVD drive I could be burning another disk and printing full colour on an inkjet.

Have I missed something?

8. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

Keep in mind, blank lightscribe discs are more expensive

9. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Not to mention hard to find for the average person. I don't think your local Wal-Mart carries these.

10. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

Actually the only place I have seen them was at a walmart. They hang on a hook and come in a box of 5, i believe.