Lighting storm almost took everything

Discussion in 'Community' started by Backtothemac, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

My wife and I have a friend visiting with her two children from Louisiana. Well, last night we all went out for a drink, and left the kids at home. True to Alabama weather, along comes a severe thunderstorm. Well, when we got home, the TV was purple, and fuzzy, the monitor on the computer was dead, the PDA was dead, cable modem, 2nd TV, DVD player, everything dead.

Yea. There goes all of my electronics with no renters insurance.

This morning however, the TV's are fine the monitor powered up, PDA works. Computer would not, and I had to reseat the ethernet card.

But, yes, the power was on last night but nothing would work. Does anyone know why?

2. coopdog macrumors 6502a

OK, this is very important. Do you have garden gnomes?!!?!

Because during electrical storms they are known to come alive and have sex with electronic equipment. Injecting a gnome goo into the electronics rendering them useless for 13.2 hours. That’s just what I have heard. :rolleyes:

3. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

WTF. No, we don't have gnomes, and yes, it happened as I stated that it did.

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Backtothemac

Well, it sounds to me that the storm affected your electrical substation cutting the cycles of your power supply, and it took your electric company a while to repair it.

Electronic equipment do some strange things when they get less than 60 cycles.

5. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

That would make sense. The lights were not at their normal brightness at all. They were very dim. It was a wierd night.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that's a strange one

as a pc tech for five years, i have never directly heard of gear going out during a storm...but one client of mine told me that a car took out a telephone pole and caused a spike which melted his lightbulb out on his porch many years ago

so that's the only case i have heard of concerning a spike

but i still think surge protectors, and UPS units if possible, are good things to have no matter where one lives

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Around 4 am there was a big storm that came thru here...thunder, lightning, tons of rain & hail. It was really loud and pretty heavy. I'm surprised we didn't lose electricity.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i agree with patrick's assessment; our station has had problems with cycles and brownouts, it's played hell on my electronics. As far as direct strikes go, i cannot stress this enough to people--get a surge protector that has a guarantee-- pay the extra few bucks for one that does. A good surge protector will pay for $50,000 worth of electronics, should they get fried... obviously that doesn't include data tho. UPS are great in brownouts, and they sell really cheap now-- they build them into (slightly bulky) power strips, not much runtime but enough to get you through flickers. A lot of houses are now being built with surge protectors and uninterruptible circuits-- look for single outlets that are red or black in people's home offices.

I've only had my house struck by lightning once, when i was very young: just before my mom could pull the plug on the microwave, a bolt hit our box, and a fireball floated out of the microwave, right through the door. pretty cool in hindsight, but before the fireball finally disappeared, it was definitely not cool :)

paul

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I am Rolling On The Floor Laughing My ******* Ass Off

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Ah, my favorite electrical power grid is the one I live in.

On the corner of the block you can throw a rock at the power canister (too late in the night to think of real word) and all of the lights dim in the whole grid... its pretty classy.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Transformer? :D

OMG I JUST GOT A GREAT IDEA!! :eek: Go around spray-painting all the transformers in the 'hood with the names of Autobots and Decepticons!!! :eek:

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Surge protect everything. Once here we had a lightning strike come in through a phone line, kill a mac, go out through it's ethernet card and killed all of the cards of all of the machines on the leg until it hit and took out the router. (This was a thin-net network back in the day...)

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Brownouts suck. I used to get those a lot when I lived in the mountains. Although from what I hear they are more of a threat to things with motors (ie fridges, laundry) than they are to electronics I wouldn't risk it. Unplug anything you can in that situation. I ended up buying a UPS for my old Performa so that when the power voltage dropped it wouldn't **** up my computer.

14. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i had an external modem fry in a storm once, the monitor sparked too, but powered back up ok. modem was toast though. g3 survived also thank goodness.

oh, and i love the google ads about gnomes on this page hahaha