Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Rasheem, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Rasheem macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2006
    Hey i was wondering if anyone knows of any CHEAP but good ways to light an area for filming. It will be mostly interviews for a family documentary. Lighting is really the only thing we havent covered. Also we would like to get some lighting that wont be too hot to the person being interviewed since the main person on screen is in his 90's and has had 2 heart attacks in the past 2 weeks.
  2. apachie2k macrumors 6502

May 23, 2006
    was MIAMI
    the best thing i suppose would be natural light, get into a room with many windows, and maybe just have "softeners" make it a little easier...
  3. Rasheem thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2006
  4. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2005
  5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    If space or natural light is limited, try some small halogen lights (like those tiny little IKEA desk lamps) and bounce them off of the walls (if they are white) or come up with some type of surface to diffuse the light off of (make sure not to get your diffuser too close to the light).
  6. flanfan macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2006
    While everything others are saying is somewhat correct, you need to consider what you are lighting. If it's outdoors, you're going to want to find lights with a color temperature of 5600K (in optimal conditions). Indoors, it is usually 3200K lights. Now, unless everything else is halogen-lit where you are shooting, I'd recommend regular Tungsten (incandescent) lights.

Actually, wherever you are, Tungsten lights can come in handy. However, you need to apply color gels to make sure the light blends with other light sources.

Shooting with Tungsten (3200K) light in daylight conditions, you need to apply something called at CTB, or Color Temperature Blue filter. It will change the light temperature to 5600K, but at the price of reducing the brightness of your light.

Consequently, if you have daylight balanced lights (some halogens and tungstens are balanced for this, at 5600K), you would want to apply a CTO (color temperature orange) in traditional indoor lighting.

To get these filters, which are made by Rosco as well as Lee, you can go to a site like or

Hope this helps!

Yes, I'm a film student. Fight on!
  7. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    x2 for those work lights.. the ones on tripods, usually found in workshops, not too bright, not too white, but they do get hot. good for filling a room with light to get rid of shadows!
  8. Rasheem thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2006
    Thanks for all oyur input it sounds like the work lights would be best for what were doing.
  9. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2005
    To summarize, if you choose to use Halogen work lights or any other Tungsten (indoor) lights, you probably won't have gels, so just put your camera on tungsten(indoor) colour balance mode.

Gels are a professional product, and they do get expensive.

If he were asking for ways to professionally light a film project, I would agree with you totally. Since it's a documentary, I think work lights would be fine.