Lightning Cable is Terrible

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Hobbers, Feb 4, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 27, 2012
    I've gone through two lightning cables for my iphone 5 since launch day, and tonight my second one actually short circuited and started smoking while charging my phone. In my opinion, this is the worst accessory/product I've ever owned. I hate the lightning connector with a burning passion.
  2. macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    San Jose (CA)
    So… try to use an adapter and microUSB cables instead.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 27, 2012
    So you're answer to an inferior product is to use adapters which I shouldn't need in the first place?
  4. macrumors 68040

Jul 7, 2010
    Bay Area
    That sucks. I have no issues with the 3 I have.
  5. Guest

Jul 29, 2007
    Are you buying fake ones online?

I bought one online. When I received it, I suspected it was a fake Apple lightning cable. Looks like the real thing, but the picture on the box looks kinda blurry and not as sharp as I expect from Apple. Thing fell apart in less than 1 hour of use.

Bought another directly from Amazon, and it works great. Picture on the box looks sharper.
  6. macrumors 68020

Oct 15, 2008
    No problems here.

Not sure what you're doing with your cables.
  7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 27, 2012
    Nope, official apple cables, one from original iphone 5 packaging and one from best buy.
  8. macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    San Jose (CA)
    Not really. I don't have any problems with my Lightning cables, so my answer to your opinion that it's an inferior product is an alternative product.
  9. macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2010
    I don't like the other end (the USB) part, when I plug it in the plug, it creeks and doesn't feel as sturdy but it is. It's because they thinned it out to make the cable even sleeker. I've had one replacement so far since the first one broke because the chip wasn't authenticating properly or something, which led to my iPhone refusing to charge on random occasions.

Other then that, I have no problems.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Dec 23, 2012
    I don't have any problems with my lighting cable at all :confused:
  11. macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2010
    I know this doesn't help the OP, but of the four iPhone5s in my house and the dozen or so cables in use (I like to have cables at each computer and one in each car, etc) that we've had since they first came out, all have been flawless.

Dunno if the OP is operating in an environment hostile to cables, but for him to go through so many bad ones seems highly unusual.
  12. macrumors 6502

Jan 1, 2011
    I went through two also.. I didn't know they had micro USB to lightening adapters. I'm getting those lol. But these new cable ARE a bit more flimsy
  13. macrumors 601

Dec 18, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    The one that came with my iPhone is working fine. I bought one from one of the cell phone kiosks at my local mall and it fell apart after an hour or so. Stick with the Apple branded ones.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2012
    Denver Colorado
    It seems all of the included USB cables that Apple includes have gotten cheap.

The first one started out just like the one below with the rubber bunching up. It eventually tore and exposed the wiring inside. Now this one is just a few months old and it too is doing the same thing.

Attached Files:

15. macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2008
    have you thought about taking it in to apple and getting it replaced?
    i'm pretty sure they'll replace that stuff for free.

i haven't had any issues with the 2 cables and 30 pin to lighting connector.
  16. macrumors 68020

Nov 2, 2006
    You need to go make Apple aware of it. I know it sounds trite for me to say, but think about it. As a manufacturer, they won't know how widespread a defect is unless owners that have experienced it, also report it.

Plus, Apple has been known to treat its customers very well, especially if you go in with a good attitude (no anger or sense of entitlement), and tell them about the potential damage it could have caused your iPhone.

It won't hurt, and could possibly help alot.
  17. macrumors 6502

Jul 8, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    probably not the cable, probably the power adapter or the outlet you are plugging into.
  18. macrumors 603

Jun 30, 2008
    This is more likely caused by people pulling the wire and not the plug to remove it from the charger.
  19. macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2011
    Endwell, NY
    Post up a picture of your cable ends, a high resolution, well lit picture.
  20. macrumors 65816

Jul 15, 2010
    the burrows
  21. macrumors member

Dec 17, 2006
    Sorry for your bad luck (if that's what it is 'cause some of your post sounds far-fetched), but the switchover to Lightening is one of the best moves by Apple in years. The 30-pin connector was clumsy and much more susceptible to breaking than Lightening.
  22. macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2013
    are you grabbing the cable and the device to unplug or are you just pulling the device? Otherwise I cannot understand why your cable would be falling apart.
  23. macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2007
    New York City & South Florida
    Yeah failing lightning cables is not a common problem, especially one that would start smoking. Post some pictures so that we can take a look. What kind of USB adapter are you connecting it to on the other end? Is it the Apple official one or some kind of other USB power device? It's possible you may be sending too much voltage through the cable.
  24. macrumors 68000

Nov 2, 2006
    And Yourself?
    Crazy there seem to be problems with these! The ones that came with my iPad Mini and iPhone 5 are still in great shape!
  25. macrumors 6502

Jul 12, 2008