Lightning killed my Express :(

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacFan26, Sep 9, 2005.

1. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2003
    San Francisco, California
    So there was a power outage here in Tucson today for about 30 seconds, and when it came back on, my airport express would not turn on :(. I tried to reset it/plug it in to different outlets etc., but no dice. So I ran over to the Apple Store and they pronouced it dead, and alas the warranty had run out of course. I told the tech that I had it plugged into a surge protector (which I did) and he suggested to ask the company that made it to perhaps buy me a new express, but that didn't seem successful...I don't really know what the purpose of this post was, maybe I just want some sympathy, lol.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
  3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    Warranties usually won't cover this......but surge protector companies usually have compensation for damages. I know the one I have has insurance of up to $20,000 for equipment attached to it.

Call back the surge protector company.
  4. stevep macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2004
    I've just lost my Linksys modem/router to a lightning strike (sounds dramatic but it wasn't - it just stopped working after a minor storm). So I bought a new Netgear model (which is much much better than the Linksys) and a couple of Belkin multi-way Surgemasters. Belkin offer a guarantee which works out at around £25000 per socket, so they must be very confident that they work.
  5. Old Sniffer macrumors newbie

Aug 23, 2005
    Ely, England
    I had the same problem 2 months back.

AppleCare sent me a new power block for the Airport Extreme and that fixed it.
  6. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2005
    Call your surge protector company, they should give you a new one.
  7. dpclark macrumors member

Dec 29, 2004
    Sunny Yorkshire - UK
    Had same problem when had lightning here in yorks - applecare replaced whole unit - was strange though - seemed like the ethernet port had been blown - my dsl router also bit the dust that night (was attached to the AEX)
  8. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2003
    San Francisco, California
    Wow, nice that they replaced it. I contacted the company that makes my surge protector, and never got a response...I just went and bought a new airport, I didn't really want to live without it for much longer, even though it sucked that it cost me $115...oh well.
  9. KittenKrusher macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2005
    I recently had a bad lightning storm, my garage has holes on the side to prove it. My car got fried... apparently the an EMP or something went off cause all the computers in the car were fried. Also blew up a cinder block outside my house.

Anyway... all my network stuff was also damaged, only one port on my router worked, the one that didn't have anything connected to it. My home owner's insurance covered it all. I just had to go out and buy everything I needed and fill out this form with all the information. Such as Brand, Model, and Price. I then got a check back the insurance company.
  10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Not sure if this is true anymore, but usually a surge protector only works once...Unless you check your SPs religiously, it could be that it had already used its one life.
  11. aquajet macrumors 68020

Feb 12, 2005
    A giant shot of static electricity, with millions of volts, comes down from the sky and hits the ground. No matter what anybody says, those surge suppressors are no match for such a thing. Lightning can easily arc through a surge suppressor and kill whatever is connected to it. Always disconnect anything you care about from the wall, the cable, or the phone line during a thunderstorm.
  12. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC

Or very confident no one will ever make a claim successfully

I would take the receipt for the new one, keep the old one, and keeping bugging the suppressor company until it's no longer worth $115 to you.