Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Is there a technical reason why the AppleTV remote couldn't support Lightning Headphones?

I know that the new AppleTV will support Bluetooth headphones but more options is nice (and a smaller market would make a nice test bed for if they really do plan on dropping the headphone jack on the iPhone).

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I see your point, however, Bluetooth's narrowband or wideband spectrum would IMHO still be the limitation. My regret with the new ATV is the removal of the optical output.

My solution for the current ATV will still work with the new ATV via the HDMI interface. I own a Sony MDR-HW700DS with an extra pair of headphones - they sound so much better than any BT headphones. I own the Japan-sourced unit - they pair with up to 4 sets of cans and are available on Amazon for about $150 less than Sony's US web site sells them for; the US headphones/transmitter pairs with only one pair of cans. The Sony MDR-HW700DS is made for the movie/theater/TV experience, not for music just to be clear.

Disclaimer: I have no financial benefit from pushing these cans, and think that BT headphones are absolutely useless for listening to anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.