Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While interest in the possible new features of the iPhone 7 remains as high as ever, perhaps the most controversial potential change to Apple's upcoming device is the removal of one long-standing feature - the headphone jack.

Rumors suggest that Apple will drop the 3.5mm audio jack to make its next-gen iPhone even thinner, and rely on an upgraded Lightning port, currently used only for charging, to transmit sound to wired headphones. Elsewhere, at least one competing smartphone maker has already announced its intention to drop the headphone jack.

MacRumors recently ran a Twitter poll that showed 59% of 7,542 respondents preferred the 3.5mm headphone jack over an all-in-one Lightning connector.

17042-14210-Screen-Shot-2016-05-30-at-20950-PM-l.jpg

In anticipation of the divisive potential switch, Macotakara notes that Chinese accessory maker Tama Electric is now advertising three Lightning-to-headphone jack adapters, two of which also include a micro-USB port for charging while using headphones.

The Tama accessories have no price listing and don't seem to be ready for shipping yet, and are unlikely to be sold as certified Made for iPhone accessories anytime soon, but could offer a sign of things to come. While Lightning headphones are already available on the consumer market, Lightning-to-3.5mm headphone adapters are unlikely to be pitched as iPhone accessories until closer to the iPhone 7 launch in September.

17042-14211-Screen-Shot-2016-05-30-at-20912-PM-l.jpg

Other rumors suggest Apple will release Lightning-equipped EarPods to support the new audio output on future iOS devices, and push Bluetooth as an alternative way to connect headphones to the device.

It's not all bad news for headphone jack fans though, as the latest claimed leak of an iPhone 7 spare part making its way through the supply chain appears to show a Lightning cable assembly with a headphone jack included.

Along with the above-mentioned rumored features, Apple's iPhone 7 and 7 Plus will also include an upgraded A-series processor and it could include features like an improved camera. Other rumors specific to the iPhone 7 Plus have suggested it could include a 256GB storage option, a 3,100 mAh battery, and 3GB RAM.

(via AppleInsider.)

Article Link: Lightning-to-Headphone Adapters Appear Ahead of iPhone 7 Launch

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
It's a done deal. It's all but confirmed by Apple themselves that there will be no headphone jack. Get used to it people. No-one is forcing you to buy the iPhone 7, right?

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
At least there's a version of this adaptor that will allow you to listen to music and charge your device at the same time--a concern many of us had initially. Just not thrilled about the additional bulky piece one would need to carry around. If rumors are true, I would hope Apple would at least include this type of accessory in the box and spare me the $30 (or higher?) additional purchase.

grubworth

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
why couldnt they just make a tiny tiny lightning to aux input, why the cable and the volume control, we'll have 3 ways to control volume. just a waste, i dont mind getting rid of the headphone jack but dont make me carry round a small box.

LVdustin

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I'd rather bring along my iPod shuffle than that.

It's one of the first appearing 3rd party accessories. You can bring your shuffle if you prefer buying low-end accessories from China. Knowing Apple, and Ive's team, it'll be beautiful, slim, and work to the point of what will you be I am assuming just a small step to a giant revolution in finally updating audio standards that have been dated and inefficient for quite some time now.

Reactions: landoncube

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
There are far easier and less hassle solutions. How about having the volume of the iPhone really low and attach a microphone to the speaker which then hooks into your MacBook Air that's hidden in your jacket and has your ear phones plugged into them which you use to listen to the playback of your iPhone via the microphone and MacBook. Don't need no special adapter then.

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
oh dear lord.. talk about a backwards step. Taking something that is embedded inside the phone, and making it a dongle flapping about attached to the phone.. how is that possibly progress?

No, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that if Apple really are pushing for the end of the 3.5 jack, they'll be going with wireless as the (only) solution. Even knowing the short-term controversy over the sudden redundancy of wired headphones, they'll go for the long view, of completely wireless systems.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Can't wait for the loss of connivence if this happens /s.

Either have a whacking big adaptor always connected to the phone, and another one to charge and listen to music, or constantly loose the adaptor that you need to connect and disconnect as you switch between devices.

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Who uses cords to listen to music, this is 2016. And wireless headphones are better then ever. I'm assuming they will announce no plug and people
Will gasp and then they will say included in the phone box is wireless ear buds and everyone will cheer. Apple is not stupid

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Who uses cords to listen to music, this is 2016. And wireless headphones are better then ever.
Cars/Studios/professional IEMs/other existing tech (headphones, earbuds) that are much higher quality than any mainstream wireless product (Beats and Bose wireless over the ear are a joke in the professional music business)

In other words we have invested in quality products and we want to continue to use them.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
oh dear lord.. talk about a backwards step. Taking something that is embedded inside the phone, and making it a dongle flapping about attached to the phone.. how is that possibly progress?

No, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that if Apple really are pushing for the end of the 3.5 jack, they'll be going with wireless as the (only) solution. Even knowing the short-term controversy over the sudden redundancy of wired headphones, they'll go for the long view, of completely wireless systems.

Another boneheaded move by Apple. If they are going to insist on removing the audio jack, they should at least move to a common port, such as USB-C, rather than a lightning port.

I read somewhere that there are plans to use USB-C as a replacement for the 3.5 mm audio port. If Apple were to use USB-C instead of a lightning port like the rest of the industry will, I would at least feel like I would have more opportunity for a better selection of headphones.

Still, this seems like change for the sake of change (or yet another money grab). I won't be recommending iPhones to others if they lack the 3.5 mm port.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Wow, so THESE are those tiny adapters everybody was telling me about I won't even notice when I want to keep using my $1000 custom in-ears on my iPhone?

Reactions: milo

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Who uses cords to listen to music, this is 2016. And wireless headphones are better then ever. I'm assuming they will announce no plug and people

I'd say the majority of customers do. Its a rarity thatI see people with wireless headphones, most people everywhere I go plug into their devices, be it a Laptop, Tablet or Phone (or even a desktop machine).

I want nothing to do with bluetooth headphones/bluetooth streaming. Its a nightmare in the car, disconnection, battery drain, pairing issues. Not to mention having to charge a pair of headphones. Left my lightning cable at home a couple of times and using the bluetooth audio streaming in the car is horrendous, hasn't changed since my last couple of attempts to use it (soundbars, Stereo Amps).

If people want wireless headphones, they're welcome to adopt them today, just like those of us who like 3.5mm headphones can continue using them :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.