Lights Off: First Native iPhone Game

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Lucas Newman and Adam Betts have released the first native iPhone game called Lights Off.
    Lights Off took 2nd place in the C4 Iron Coder competition behind the Video Conferencing application for the iPhone.

As a native application, you must download the package and install it using existing "jailbreak" tools to gain access to the iPhone's file system. Installation instructions are provided.

Lights Off was developed completely with Apple's UIKit development framework, the same used to make iPhone's built-in applications such as Maps and YouTube. It leverages the community-built tools that have been developed with the absence of an official iPhone SDK.

Article Link

2. macrumors 68000

Nintendo should so work with apple with a native gameboy type thing and sell their whole backlog of games on the itunes store for $5 or $10...

3. macrumors 6502

Because that wouldn't be competitive with Nintendo's own download service...

4. macrumors regular

I am very impressed with the progress that has been made despite how locked down the iPhone is.

5. macrumors regular

WOW! It's from the future!

6. macrumors 68000

oh. did not even know they had a service like that. Have not played video games for years.

Except for bejewelled on the iphone which I am the king of on Macrumors.com!!!!

?

7. macrumors 65816

Well it isn't really locked down that much... just no tools are provided, etc. for it nor is direct file access provided for, etc.

8. macrumors 6502

distortedloop

This one might actually make "hacking" my iPhone seem attractive. Custom ringtones never really important to me, but a cool game might be.

I wonder if this can be loaded with iFuntastic utility. Worth checking out.

9. macrumors 65816

voicegy

Yet another addition that will simply be blown away come next iPhone update? Naw....I'll pass.

10. macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

WOW! The progress is amazing. I am so proud of how good these reverse-engineers are.

11. macrumors 65816

StealthRider

This sounds like one of those damned Zelda puzzles where you had to hit the little thingies to make them all the same color.

I hated those. (Link's Awakening DX, I think, was where I saw them...)

12. macrumors 65816

I really liked the idea of Web Apps and still do like the large number that are available. Then apps like this and many others that require a hack start coming out. Now I just wish that Apple would unlock the iPhone to allow 3rd party apps and make it so much easier for all users to experience these apps. Then iPhone users could have the best of both worlds and the overall iPhone experience would be better.

13. macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Very cool. I'll try it out.

14. macrumors 604

QuarterSwede

I remember playing a handheld version of that called Lights Out with little rubber squares that were red until you pushed one and made it go out. That was a great game but very hard once you got into it.

15. macrumors 601

This is so excellent. This is how games should be done for the iPhone, not those cheesy web apps. It's so resposive! I love this game. :)

16. macrumors 68040

Telp

Im having trouble, can someone help me? I have performed jailbreak, i put on the PEM, and i did the generate .plist, but i cant activate iPhone. Can someone tell me why i can't?

17. macrumors newbie

Cecily

Hey I had that game and absolutely loved it. Got pretty good at it too but you're sure right about it getting hard later on. If I had an iPhone i'd get it. It's both fun and addicting.

18. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

19. macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Very impressive. I can't wait to get one of these. The advancements they would have made by next year will be awesome.

20. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Doesn't work for a number of reasons.

1) Those games rely on physical buttons. It's much better to make games designed around the touch screen, like Nintendo does for the DS with games like Elite Beat Agents and Brain Age.

2) It would compete with the Wii, which already does exactly what you describe.

21. macrumors 68000

Fukui

Good job lucas!!

22. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

finally went through the process and installed Lights Off... and have to say it is a very nice application. Really makes you sad that there isn't open iphone development. The process to get to that point of installing apps, however, sucks.

arn

23. macrumors 68040

Telp

I am utterly stumped here. Still stuck at the activation part, cant find IPHUC, and have no idea how to instal SSH. Can someone please help me.

24. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I gave up right when it said that I had to download xcode, which is pretty much the first step. Xcode is almost a 1Gb download, then you have to configure and compile IPHUC to upload the app to the phone, then install and use ssh to change the permissions . . . it's like linux all over again.

I will wait for somebody to create a nice GUI that will allow you to install apps, I don't have the time or energy to go through the process, though all the apps look nice.

25. macrumors 601

Xcode is on your Mac OS X install discs.

Building iPHUC is pretty complicated ... but not a big deal really, if you follow the tutorials.

Here is an SSH install script with everything you need:
    http://iphone.port21.com/Code/iPhone_SSH_Install_for_Mac.zip

If you need any help, feel free to PM me.