LightScribe DVD Burner

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mikes63737, Mar 4, 2007.

1. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I want to buy a LightScribe burner, but I don't want to pay over $150 for one. I can buy a LightScribe burner on Newegg for ~$30, and an enclosure for ~$30 more. So I have two questions. Can I use a generic LightScribe burner with LaCie's Mac software, and does the enclosure need to be USB or Firewire?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I have the older LaCie model.

It works for Windows and Mac, and has USB and FW.

So my guess is your plan would work.

But with the older versions costing around $100, that might be your best solution.

3. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, today I bought an LG lightscribe burner from Bestbuy and I plugged it into my Mac and it was immediately recognized. Then I downloaded the software from LaCie and installed it. The drive works great with the LaCie software, and I have already burned 2 labels.

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

If you have any problems using native apps like iDVD, I would also recommend getting PatchBurn, as it helps with that: patchburn.de

I have the external LG Lightscribe burner, works fine with all my apps on my Mac with Patchburn.

5. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. I don't use iDVD with it though, because when I burn DVDs I need to make 15-20 copies at a time, so I use Disk Utility which works fine for me.

6. iluvrobots macrumors newbie

iluvrobots

Can you tell me which programs you downloaded? I was looking at this page: http://www.lacie.com/us/support/drivers/index.htm?id=10008 and a little unsure of which ones. -- Thanks! (I am a mac-newbie:))

7. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just downloaded LightScribe Labeler 1.2. If it gives you an error message, download LightScribe Host Software v1.4.136.1 and install again.

Good Luck! It's an amazing product.

8. iluvrobots macrumors newbie

iluvrobots

Thanks! Everything is working great...and my husband told me that macs wont lightscribe :p