Lightscribe DVD Media

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rogerismyname, Nov 14, 2005.

1. rogerismyname macrumors newbie

I searched through the forum looking for an answer, but was not able to find one, so decided to post this.

I am wondering about DVD-R and DVD Dual Layer Lightscribe Media. From what I have been able to gather, neither of these currently exist.

I just created a dvd from my niece's first year's worth of videos, and I want to use lightscribe for the labels. However, there is no lightscribe DVD-R media. As far as I know, only DVD-R is universally playable in standalone DVD Players.

So: Is DVD+R (available in lightscribe format) able to be played in at least the vast majority of dvd players? In which case I could use that for the video. Also what are the plans for lightscribe dvd-r and dvd dual layer?

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I have a 10-spindle of Lightscribe DVDs that I got from Best Buy. The burned disc played just fine on my DVD player.

3. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

My LaCie burner came with Verbatim media, and that is pretty much what I have stuck with. My lightscribe DVD+R Varbatims work fine on my Sony 5disc DVD player.

4. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

My sisters dvd player will not take + discs, minus is much more compatiable. Most players will play - in preferance to both or +

5. rogerismyname thread starter macrumors newbie

Just ran around to various stores to look for some lightscribe dvd+r discs and came across Verbatim 10 packs at Best Buy for 8 dollars (on sale)! Needless to say, I bought a few. I also found that HP makes a lightscribe dvd-r, the only brand I know to exist in that format. But as they are more than twice the price of the Verbatim lightscribe dvd+r discs I just bought, I'll take my chances with the cheap dvd+r discs. If they don't work I could always go back and get the more expensive -r's :rolleyes: