Lightwave 3D with Powermac Quad using SasLite

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KnuxTE, Oct 25, 2005.

1. KnuxTE macrumors newbie

I haven't used lightwave for more than 2 years, and last time I have used it on my G4 Laptop, and a G5 (which are now gone) The issue I have right now is that I learned how to use the Hair/Fur plug-in called SasLite (Sasquash) from my recent time in college . But this time I own a PC instead, ever since my G4 Laptop killed by my cousin, and my G5 due to a huge power surge. (board, ram, HD, Video----ALL GONE)

I am now currently using Windows XP Pro 32/64 bit (devided partitions) on a PC rig I built myself a year ago and just opened lightwave and decided to use saslite, but this time rendering a video, I tried AVI, MOV, BMP Sequence, ETC----All formats crash layout when rendering in Lightwave with SasLite. If I went Mac (Agian) would I still have the same problems???? Or I should put it this way- Is it Windows? or is it the program? Im planning on going G5 Quad- is it worth investing in that type of system, or should I go G4 portable so I could show my clients?

2. Bear macrumors G3

I can't answer your questions. Except I think the Quad would be very useful for Lightwave. You can add a PowerBook later on.

All I can do is recommend you use either a heavy duty filtered power strip or a decent UPS for your electronics. I recommend APC for these products. I've never had a machine fry that was plugged into an APC product.

[And yes, I keep my stereo plugged into a filtered power strip.]

3. ndmccormack macrumors member

try www.creativecow.net for your lightwave woes... their pretty helpful over there...

niall

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Also a touch more than Bear has said, try getting renters/homeowners Ins. if you get a PM just incase so you don't have to go through the frying thing with another Mac ;) it will be covered.

5. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Yeah, Lightwave is a bit of a temperamental program if you don't have it set up just right on your machine.
    I trained with Lightwave 7 back in college and I have 7.5 on my machine right now.
    I really couldn't tell you what might be wrong but the discussion boards at Newtek's website have been helpful for me.
    If I were you, I'd get the most powerful machine I could afford to run this program. The render times on my machine even though it's nice and powerful can get pretty lengthy. My final project for school took 3 days to render and that project was for 15 seconds of animation. At that time my machine was 3 times more powerful than the ones we were using in school.
    If you are making a living with it, it behooves you to get the most powerful machine. Time is money.
    Too bad you can't wait for the changeover to x86 Mactel machines.