Lik-Sang closed because of Sony

Discussion in 'Games' started by mlrproducts, Oct 24, 2006.

1. mlrproducts macrumors 6502

If you haven't read it already, head over to HardOCP, Engadget, Slashdot, or Liksang. I had a PS3 preorder from LAST DECEMBER that got cancellled, so now I surely won't be getting a PS3.

I will be boycotting Sony, as shutting down a perfectly legitimate business like Lik-sang crosses the line. If the rootkits didn't do it for you folks, this should (and I was just about to buy a Dreamcast VGA box from them too).

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

wow. and i get updates via email by Lik-Sang. or should i say, did

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sony you muppets - oh well my plans of getting a US wii have certainly been scuppered. oh well.

It's a real shame - I hope lik-sang fight this, but that may not be financially viable. i have to check play-asia now to see their reaction.

4. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

5. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I will miss Lik-Sang. I only have good things to say about them.

I will probably still be getting a PS3 but I'll admit I'll feel dirty buying it.

On another note, to be fair, Nintendo and Microsoft also brought Lik Sang to court in the past although not as frequently and aggressively.

Oh the irony:

6. LukeW macrumors member

That's pretty disgusting. What pisses me off most is that they do it while under the banner of claiming to be protecting the innocent (thats us) from having our shiny new PS3's expode and setting fire to our houses...err robbing us of our stable income and stopping us from putting down a fistful of notes to buy the latest overpriced PS3 game, which is an inevitable sequel to the PS2 game(s), only with better graphics and half the content, the rest you have to buy for extra over on their online store.
    I'm sorry Sony, but if you are going to go around closing small business just by dropping 100's of lawsuits into their post boxes until they are unable to get the door open and are forced to close, then at least do us the favour of saving us from the bullcrap and tell us the truth, which is MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.
    Then you will at least treat us like intelligent people, rather than morons who dont know anything about region codes.... OH WAIT A MINUTE....

7. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

Sony endured many cutbacks in the past 5 years. This is not helping their image one bit.

Shame on you, Sony.

Sir Howard Stringer- I will enjoy my new nintendo system this winter. I hope your PS3 fails like all of your other most recent "innovations".

Check This out.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Read Sony's response over at IGN - claiming their European managers and stuff that LikSang has punlically busted - which were ordering import stuff from Lik Sang - were doing for 'research', :rolleyes: what a load of old ****.

9. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

this is just another example of Sony being able to be one of the most awesome companies in the entire world... and straight up dicking fans over.

sony could be love like apple is loved. and held in very high regard like apple.

ohhh sony. all they manufacture anymore are mistakes.

10. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

anyone that still buy's a PS3 should be ashamed for themselves. sony just bit the hand that feeds. and now they should pay the piper. i am up for a sony boycott. i will no longer buy a sony product in my life. lik-sang was a great gaming surplus store and was known for there great import stuff . i bought allot (mostly stuff for dreamcast) from them with no hassles and not one defective part. i will miss you lik-sang. now who's up for some boycotting

11. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I am boycotting the ps3 because of this... sony is worse than m$ in my opinion! :eek:

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well since they have now made it hard for me to get an import machine - looks like I'll be boycotting them byproxy anyway.

I wonder what other suppliers who ship to europe will do now.

13. mufflon macrumors 6502

oh well - a company that sold ps3s to areas they weren't allowed (well more or less I suppose - not what sony intended anyhow) only means two things:

1) sony is selling way too few units and/or too late in europe and the rest of the world leading to international interest in this kind ofg business (import)

2) units intended to be sold in a certain area will probably be sold there and not reshipped somewhere else.

So in general terms, sony should have reconsidered their business plan before going gold with their ps3.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just recieved this email

Dear valued customer,

unfortunately, Lik Sang is forced to close its virtual doors for good. This
    comes as a consequence of the several legal actions brought on us by Sony.
    For more information on the situation, please point your browser to the
    following link:

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3901

Therefore, as soon as humanly possible, we will cancel all existing orders,
    including yours, and issue refunds where necessary.

Please note that it may take anywhere from a few days up to a week or two
    for refunds to be processed by PayPal, your bank or your credit card
    company, so please don't worry if you don't see it immediately on your
    balance statement. You can rest assured that Lik-Sang is monitoring the
    situation closely with all involved parties. No single customer will be
    caught in the crossfire of this ordeal.

We are sorry to have to go, and we wish to thank you sincerely your support
    over the past decade.

Warm regards and a big THANK YOU from the entire Hong Kong crew.

Team Lik-Sang

15. mkaake macrumors 65816

I seriously hope that there's a chance of Sony seeing all of the press they're generating on this... and make the right choice to back down. It's happened before on (rare) occasion...

Probably not, but it would be great to see. I've never had that much use for an import company, but I respect their place in the market, and it's sad to see them being pushed out of business because Sony doesn't want them selling consoles to certain areas (WTF?).

16. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Son of a bitch.

I was totally going to buy a nice DS case from lik-sang in a couple days.

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Does anyone really know the implications and all the facts behind this yet? No? Well, I'd advise all of you not to run your mouths until you do. Lik-Sang could be in deep trouble if they were producing and selling counterfeit products, which, is no big secret that Hong Kong "companies" are infamous for. For those who don't know, Hong Kong has a great export market for pirated movies, games, anime, and other digital media. It's possible that this company was doing just that. Of course, it's also possible that they are one of the few honest Hong Kong companies around.

Is Sony wrong in this? Possibly. Is Lik-Sang? Possibly.

As one level-headed poster at Engadget says:

If Lik-Sang were breaking trade laws, then Sony didn't do it just to spite all of you, despite what you may think.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Oni. What got your knickers in a twist?

The facts are there - the law suit Sony won in the UK was because a high court judge agreed that importing into EU without the manufactuers consent is illegal. That's it.

Its Sony's sudden decision to clamp down and close the doors - bizzare when they finally promise to release 'region free gaming' . It's just madness on their part.

I've been a customer of Lik-Sang for over 7 years.

Lik-Sang dont sell ripped off Sony or other manufacturers hardware at all.

Just because there is piracy in the East, does not mean every retailer should be tarred with the same brush.

I've bought my dreamcast, panasonic Q, psp, gamecube & ps2 from them, as well as many other products all official. They aren't shady.

---

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6076354.stm?ls

19. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

If Lik-Sang did not have approval to distribute the merchandise, then that is a legal matter. Sony, regardless if it's "right" or not, did handle this matter legally. The court would not have ruled the way it did if there wasn't a clear, decisive breach of how the business was distributing this merchandise.

That's all I'm saying.

20. mac000 macrumors 6502a

sony was probably just mad bc of their battery recall, heh.

21. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

sucks for Europeans, probably great for Sony's stockholders

22. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Darn. So much for my gettting a LS shipment sent out tomorrow...

23. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Yes, that makes a lot of ****ing sense. :rolleyes:

24. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

I'm an importer

Wow Wikipedia updated their definition of Lik-Sang pretty fast. It now refers to them in the past tense. Can't say this effects me much. I had an acoount with them but only used it once. I prefer going to PlayAsia, YesAsia, eStarland, and National Console Support Center first before checking Lik-Sang. I must admit I am worried about what this means for the future of import gaming.

25. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Its really sad to see this company get shut down but lik-Sang had this problem from the get go. All of the major gaming companies gave them hassle over what they do but sony was the closer.

Boycotting...I'm sorry but thats just not the way. Sad time for gamers but great time for ALL gaming companies so if you want to boycott go on and gut the industry not Sony because everyone had there hand in it.

Bless