Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While we've seen dozens of images depicting iPhone 6 elements that are likely to be real versions of parts that will make their way into the finished device, we've also been seeing quite a few iPhone 6 mockups, iPhone 6 clones, and other fake iPhone 6 parts as we creep closer to the device's launch date.

French site Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translate] has today shared what it believes may be a genuine iPhone 6 box insert (or quick start guide) that "confirms" the launch date of the iPhone 6 as Tuesday, September 9, but MacRumors believes the insert to be fake based on several different design elements.

(Click for Full Size)​
Nowhereelse.Fr compares the September 9 date listed on the fake insert to the "10" date on the calendar icon of the original iPhone 5s card as proof the iPhone 6 insert is real, but the site erroneously assumes that the date on the iPhone 5s insert referred to the Tuesday, September 10 unveiling of the iPhone 5s.

The "10" date actually corresponds to the date when iOS 7 debuted, Monday, June 10. Therefore, the iPhone 5s card did not depict the phone's debut date, which means an actual Apple quick start card for the iPhone 6 would be unlikely to display "September 9" over the iOS default date.

Additionally, the design of the card also lacks slashes between the Ring/Silent switch and Home Button/Touch ID sensor, and the font of the time is not quite in line with Apple's style. Nowhereelse.Fr claims that Apple has opted for a more simple insert design that does not show the actual device to explain its difference from the iPhone 5s insert, but it is unclear whether that is factual. Even when poised as a possible rough draft for a finished quick start guide, the glaring errors on the card continue suggest that it is indeed a fake and not representative of the actual insert card that will be included with the finished iPhone 6.

Apple is expected to introduce its iPhone 6 on Tuesday, September 9 at a media event. The device is rumored to come in two variations, 4.7 inches and 5.5-inches, but it is unclear if both models will ship at the same time as production issues are said to be plaguing the larger iPhone 6.

Article Link: Likely Fake iPhone 6 Box Insert Surfaces

mbrannon47

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
No. Just no. Here we are again with Myriad Pro Regular. The iPhone 5s uses Myriad Pro Light. Also, Apple would NEVER put the lock screen on the box because it shows an actual date. That dates the product right out of the gate. Why is this even posted??

adrianlealmtz

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2014
Monterrey, Mexico
Check the font

If that was the actual insert packaging, they would've wrote: '> slide to unlock' not '>Slide to unlock' with a capital S at the beginning!!!

Well... I know it may sound picky... but that's what I think guys!

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
If that was the actual insert packaging, they would've wrote: '> slide to unlock' not '>Slide to unlock' with a capital S at the beginning!!!

True, also, my turn to be picky.

"Home button Touch ID sensor"?

Shouldn't it be "Home button/Touch ID sensor"?

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012

it should be "Tuesday, September 9"
This photo don't have "," (Comma)

:D;)

Yep, two more reasons this is likely fake. Good eye guys :)

----------

iOS 8 does not say "Slide to unlock" anymore but just "Unlock".

iOS 8 still says "slide to unlock" but as mentioned, it's not capitalized.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
They point out every button and port and i guess this thing doesn't have a headphone jack? What a waste of time faking this crap.

----------

iOS 8 does not say "Slide to unlock" anymore but just "Unlock".

yeah i'm holding it in my hind right now and it says ">slide to unlock" no caps.

cn1dlm

Canceled
Oct 17, 2013
Lets see what I can come up with for this obviously fake insert.

As MacRumors points out. It should read...

1. "Ring/Silent Switch" not "Ring Silent switch".

2. "Home Button/Touch ID Sensor" not "Home button Touch ID sensor".

Other findings...

3. It should also read "Tuesday, September 9" not "Tuesday September 9".

4. No color.

5. No headphone jack.

6. No speakers.

7. No proximity sensor.

8. No front camera.

9. Is it just me or does the graphic look slightly diagonal?

10. 'iPhone 6" brand name font is thicker than previous used font.

11. Clock font does not match font used on iOS 7 or 8.

12. Bonus Point: I have all the original package and its contents from when I purchased my iPhone 5 in 2012. The iPhone 5 box does not include a insert. Instead the demonstration graphic is a inside the Quick Start Guide booklet. I doubt Apple would go the route of including more paper that most won't read for more than a few short minutes before ending in the trash if not required.

Last edited:

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
Looks exactly like the iPhone 4,4S, 5, 5S except the sleep/wake button !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 241
Last edited:

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
Even when poised as a possible rough draft for a finished quick start guide, the glaring errors on the card continue suggest that it is indeed a fake and not representative of the actual insert card that will be included with the finished iPhone 6.

I'm never convinced by these kinds of reasons; even if it's not the final design does it really take that much longer to get it correct grammatically?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.