Limbaugh: The Left has a "Different God"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Apr 28, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Quoting him is like quoting Osama, except he pops pills and Osama blows things up. Extremists are extremists and he gets paid for being extreme.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

listening to his explanation, he is saying that "the left's" interpretation of the christian god is different from that of "the right." the dividing line is the moral absolutism.

and to a degree, i agree with him. it gets to the very nature of what i see as the two main traits of left/right: question everything / follow what you were taught as a youngster, respectively.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the grey areas are a fact of life, get used to it; absolutism isnt the answer

extremists, i cant stand 'em

4. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

that gave me a chuckle....

By The Way..... whatever happened to Seperation of Church and State? does no one ever believe in that anymore? (or am i just a hopeless romantic liberal?)

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

No, the dividing line is blasphemy. That anyone would presuppose God's judgement is heresy.

They used to burn the heretics.

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And wasn't that a laff riot?

So what do they do to heretics today? Who in the religious community is correcting the theology of the Limbaughs of the world?

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Limbaugh's simply parroting the theology of the "religious community." The hardcore fundamentalist right-wing "religious community" anyway.

There are many who wrap their personal politics in religion so they don't have to answer for their illogical, narrow, hateful, backward, anti-Christian views. Matters of "faith" are impervious to reason.

9. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sure, but why isn't anyone in the non-right-wing religious community jumping down Limbaugh's throat faster than a couple of extra-strength Vicodin?

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

11. diamond geezer macrumors regular

No surprise that the "God of the Right" is a God of hatred and intolerance. Just whom was created in whose image, God or the Right?

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

13. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Oh good lord (no pun intended) how IGNORANT some people can be. Okay, so maybe different people have different moral values, but like... saying that they have different gods....

Actually, there is almost some sense in what Rush Limbaugh said. He sits down every night after preaching hate and prays that what he said will ever actually become true.

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well some churches still have their institutions against such things, especially one big institution with a rather bad reputation (which is historically wrong) springs to mind ;)

but i somehow doubt that he as a member of _that_ church (and the head for the institution is vacant as well at the moment ;) )

edit: and somebody like Limbaugh would have big troubles over here spouting off nonsense like he does ..not only would he have problems with laws someimes but he would turn the rest of the media into a horde of werewolves but with him as the prey ;)
    oh boy would they tear him apart

15. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

He is such an idiot I don't even know where to begin. First off, Jesus was not an absolutist. He said "turn the other cheek." He didn't say go to Iraq and blow up the people who had nothing to do with Sept. 11. The Christian response to Osama would be to forgive him and love him. Limbaugh CAN'T HANDLE real Christianity.

Perhaps that's one reason I'm not a Christian. I couldn't handle forgiving Osama either.

16. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I am sorry but I just have to reply to this. I LITERALLY fell out of my chair laughing. Like you can ask my brother, he came in here and was like "wtf". That post made SO much sense... I just like... oh my God. Can someone send that to the President, please. LMFAO.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

GW isn't really a Christian, he just says he is because he lost to one the first time he ran for office and swore never to let that happen again. Rove helped him out-Jesus the best of the soapboxers. Sad that so many people fall for it, since most of what he does is the polar opposite of what a real Christian believes. People just like to hide behind their faith to attempt to justify some pretty bad things.

But, we already knew that didn't we? :p

18. makisushi macrumors 6502

I am Mormon (and YES, we are Christian, and not a cult!) and I have often thought about why so many of my faith are such die hard republicans. If you ever look into the basic teachings, they often parallel with the ideals of the democratic party. I think it has to do with the priority of the issues, i.e. abortion.

Saying that people hide behind their faith, IMHO, is a little naive. I have used my beliefs to make decisions and come up with opinions and I don't think of myself as hiding behind my faith.

How would any of us really know if Bush is a Christian or not?

19. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Christians persecute heathens. Muslims behead infidels. Catholics blow up Protestants. Buddhists attack christian churches. And so on. All such people are hypocrites and traitors to the beliefs they pretend to uphold. Often, they even claim to be acting in the name of their god.

The philosophy of practically every religion stands for peace, love, and harmony. But the practice of most religions seems to be something entirely different for many people.

Any "Christian" who actively advocates for war doesn't understand the basic principles of their own religion. Or just doesn't give a flying f***. In Rush et al's case... I think it is the latter.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well said.

21. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

And it's not Baby Blues or Greenbacks, that's for sure.

The only time I listen to Rush anymore is when Al Franken is tearing him apart on his show. Virtually a daily occurrence.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If we were supposed to believe in absolutes, there would be no free will. Limbaugh's a moron.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I didn't mean you personally, nor am I referring to people trying to live morally and look to their faith for guidence. I am more referring to those who murder people of different belief systems in the name of their God, despite supposedly coming from a peaceful religion (and no, I don't just mean Islamic fundamentalists either). And to a lesser extent, these people who speak of Jesus as if they know him, then turning around and do pretty much the exact opposite of what He taught. It's hard to believe they're actually as religious as they say they are. Seems more like they're just using the words to gain power and clout.

And people follow them because they believe what they say, despite what they do.

How many people say they are against homosexuality just because it says so in the Bible, and yet they themselves do many things specifically forbidden in that same Bible? How many can actually point to the part where it say that? How many know what else it says you can't do in there? I'm just saying, if all you know of the Bible is the wrath and brimstone and Leviticus, you're missing the best parts.

Go read up on Karla Faye Tucker and tell me he is. Somebody who talks so much about his faith, and then does the exact opposite of what that faith teaches on so many occasions... either he's grossly misguided, or he's a lying hypocrite. The more I learn about him, the more I move toward the latter.

See also: the Crusades, Matthew Shepard.

24. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I thought you were going to go in a different direction. I am also Mormon, and I find it amusing that the religious right is using the same tactic against liberals that they popularized against Mormons. Although most American Mormons are politically indistinguishable from Christian fundamentalists, theologically they are considered blasphemous enemies of Protestant fundamentalists, and in recent years a popular tactic for criticizing Mormonism has been to say that it is not 'Christian' because Mormonism's concept of Christ is so different from that of holy rollers. Hence, your unnecessary assertion that Mormons are Christian. Of course they are.

So now the latter-day Pharisees (conservative Protestant fundamentalists) are saying the same thing about the religious left. It's an old trick, and all it really accomplishes is to further divide people and inspire more hatred and enmity among the right toward anyone who doesn't look/dress/act/think just like them. "By their fruits ye shall know them," and I all I see on the right is unchristian hate-mongering.