Limbaugh Totally Wigs Out

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jun 18, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I always knew he had it in him.

On his program yesterday, Limbaugh lashed out at Tom Harkin for introducing an amendment to a defense bill requesting the development of oversight rules for the Armed Forces Radio and Television Service. Seems they carry only one political show, Limbaugh's program, on their talk radio channel. This is what Harkin requested in his amendment:

Public criticism of American Forces Radio content has focused on the fact that Rush Limbaugh's commentary is carried daily on the talk radio service. I generally do not agree with Rush Limbaugh's commentaries. But I do not object to the fact that they are run on a daily basis on this service. Some people do object. However, what I do take issue with is the fact that there is no commentary on the service that would even begin to balance the extreme right-wing views that Rush Limbaugh routinely expresses on his program.

Critics have specifically cited Rush Limbaugh's use of his show to condone and trivialize the abuse of Iraqi prisoners by U.S. guards at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq. As many of my colleagues know, and as has been pointed out previously here on the Senate floor, Mr. Limbaugh reportedly likened the abuse of Iraqi prisoners by U.S. guards at Abu Ghraib to a fraternity initiation. He called some of the abusive tactics a ``brilliant maneuver.'' I think the critics are right. Limbaugh's remarks--and there are many more offensive remarks by Mr. Limbaugh on this topic than I have mentioned here--are repugnant. They do damage to the American image when they are heard around the world. I would guess that Limbaugh's comments on Abu Ghraib also probably offend a large majority of American service members.

Still, I am not calling for American Forces Radio to pull Rush Limbaugh's commentaries from their talk radio service. I am asking, and I am pleased that the Senate is now on record asking, that AFRTS meet its own mandate, as generally articulated in Department of Defense Regulation 5120.20R. That regulation calls for AFRTS political programming that is ``characterized by its fairness and balance,'' as well as news programming guided by a ``principle of fairness'' that requires ``reasonable opportunities for the presentation of conflicting views on important controversial public issues.''

...My amendment in no way prescribes specific content or programming at AFRTS. That is not the role of the Senate. What my amendment does do, appropriately, is state that it is the sense of the Senate that the Secretary of Defense should ensure that AFRTS policies of fairness and balance are being fully implemented. The amendment calls on the Secretary to develop appropriate methods of oversight in this regard.​

Pretty tame stuff, right? Here's how Limbaugh spun it yesterday:

I'm in a Defense appropriations bill!

...For the past seven weeks, this little website, Media Matters, has been monitoring The Rush Limbaugh Show, transcribing and publishing my offensive statements regarding the abuse of Iraqi prisoners. And they've written Rumsfeld two letters demanding I be taken off. Rumsfeld didn't respond. So they went to Harkin and they've got their --

Now this is censorship. This is the United States government. This is a United States senator amending the Defense appropriations bill with the intent being to get this program -- only one hour of which is carried on Armed Forces Radio -- stripped from that network

And I just read this guy's statement, and he's lying through his teeth about what was said on this program about the prison abuse scandal. He's lying about what I said. He's taking it all out of context. He's regurgitating the out-of-text quotes taken by this so-called analyst website, which is nothing more than an appendage of the Democratic Party.

And so a bunch of falsehoods about me were spoken on the floor of the Senate yesterday, or in the paper. I don't know if it was on the floor or not, but -- but this is his official Congressional Record statement. It might have been verbal. Authorizing this amendment, or proposing this amendment. And it's full of -- it's just chock full of lies and -- and -- and misrepresentations and out of context statements.​

Now, here's the bit where Limbaugh launches straight into orbit:

There's nothing I can do to fix this other than to fight for my First Amendment right. And I'm going to, as I'm doing now. And I'm going to alert people to what is happening. And again, I want to stress that the reason it's happening is because not only do they have to take out Bush, for some reason, they think they have to take me out.

...Now, I've told you, all these George Soros groups -- Take Over America, Take Back America, Media Matters for America, this new Lib Talk Radio Network -- this is all about Hillary Clinton. These groups are not businesses, they are not in the commercial business -- commercial sector to turn a profit. These are not groups in -- into analysis. They are action-oriented political groups seeking to advance the goals and ideas of the Democratic Party.

Make no mistake about it. And they're all in existence to help Hillary. They're all run, or controlled by, or influenced by the Clintonoids and their supporters. The Clintons have long, long, shall we say, had a problem with me. And it's that truth detector line. ... The fact is it is I who am and was the truth detector at -- when analyzing them. That's what they don't like. They want to blunt my effectiveness by using their allies in Congress and elsewhere to do what they can to silence me. It's raw politics, folks. It's the kind that dictators and the Clintons like. It's raw politics. This is what -- this is disguised as theories. Or what have you.​

Earth to Rush... Earth to Rush!

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Or Rush to Earth - head-first if possible...

Seriously, do US troops listen to this crap out there? Makes you wonder about a cause-and-effect relationship... :eek:

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm more worried about people in the middle east hearing it. on one hand, they've got bush on al jazeera saying the US doesn't condone the behavior at abu ghraib, and on the other, they've got rush on US-sponsored radio saying it's not serious at all.

the inside-the-US and outside-the-US propoganda is being mixed up!

5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Except for one thing. In 1994, the men and women of the armed forces were questioned as to what programing they wanted, and they were given several choices. Rush was the number 5 choice per a write in. He wasn't even on the ballot. If the men and women of the armed forces want to hear him, then so be it.

6. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sure, fine. But even Harkin's amendment doesn't call for Limbaugh to be cut from the service, but you wouldn't know that by Limbaugh's reaction, which is so completely counterfactual it's positively astonishing, even by his low, low standards. Then he launches into that bizarre tirade about Hillary Clinton.

I keep expecting to hear a "foomp!" and see Limbaugh vanish in a puff of smoke, like the drummer in Spinal Tap. Can spontaneous combustion really be so far off?

7. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    and who says drug abuse has no lingering effects...well, besides deafness...

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I didn't think marijuana was his drug of choice...

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

People didn't read that "regulation calls for AFRTS political programming that is ``characterized by its fairness and balance,'' as well as news programming guided by a ``principle of fairness'' that requires ``reasonable opportunities for the presentation of conflicting views on important controversial public issues.''.

Sorry Rush it is not always about you and Hillary.

10. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

one political show! Apparently your ignoring NPR which is that left wing broadcast that has mostly a monopoly on armed forces radio[​IMG]

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Now I know facts won't interfere with your... I mean Neal's opinion, but just for the rest of the forum let's look at Sly's claim here.

Link

12. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Good. They need to hear something from people who actually think.

gross

13. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

14. wwworry macrumors regular

if you want the facts then listen to NPR. There are lots of studies that show that regular listeners of NPR are the best informed.

How is it that being accurately informed is somehow "left-wing"?

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry, but I think the neo-cons would prefer a group of people that will only listen to their approved sound-bites. An uninformed public is easier to control and pass laws against.

16. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

How many of them think we attacked Iraq for oil?[​IMG]

17. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

:confused: Because anyone who is well informed is left-wing :eek: :D :p

18. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

misinformed would be the proper expression.[​IMG]

19. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Another great smiley. But you are confused. It is informed :D :p

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

"misinformed" is not an expression. it's a word.

21. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

The act or an instance of expressing in words:
    articulation, statement, utterance, verbalization, vocalization, voice.
    See words.

Something that takes the place of words in communicating a thought or feeling:
    gesture, indication, sign, token.
    See show.

A sound or combination of sounds that symbolizes and communicates a meaning:
    locution, term, word.
    See words.

word or group of words forming a unit and conveying meaning:
    locution, phrase.
    See words.

Must we always be so picky?[​IMG]

22. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Haha that reminds me of a great line made by a Republican in one of my engineering classes. He wrote on the board, during one of our project meetings, "All Democrats are idiots"--supposedly in jest, he said.

Turns out, while everyone got A's, he got a C-. Everyone else was a Democrat in our group, but none of us made fun of him in retaliation--I guess you could say our actions (academically) spoke for themselves...

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Hooray for you all! Elevating the standard. Thats a good one.

I think it does show the issues now that we are an electorate ruled by the sound-bite. It sickens me that the Republican Party has moved dirty politics to a whole new level. The Republican Party says that they are for less government, but look at the intrusion in to states rights. I guess they meant less government for those with money, the rest of us can just go suck a lemon.

24. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

No, they were stupid enough to think they could appease the left by pretending to be the left and wasting money on crappy socialization programs instead of using it to beef up our military or pay on the deficit. Even so far as giving that murdering bastard Kennedy carte blanche in writing the education bill didn't appease anyone.

Goes to show appeasing folks just don't work.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Unworthy even of you.