limewire download issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by goodtimes5, Aug 8, 2004.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

When you download from Limewire, Limewire automatically allows you to connect to multiple users so you get more speed. But this has also allowed you to download a legit file and a corrupt file at the same time.

Is there any way to turn this off?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Use Posioned or mlMac. Much better than Limewire, and no adds to go with them.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This is called swarming, but I can't find an option to turn it off.

4. aStabell macrumors member

aStabell

I had a terrible experience with mIMac, I was never able to download anything off of it, but don't know about posioned never tried it before.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

LimeWire blows, that's for kiddies - find yourself a better P2P program, there are plenty out there. Try this site :cool:

6. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    you probably didn't have the proper ports opened. mlmac works great for me. See link posted above for more help.

7. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

You are NOT allowed to talk about p2p in these forums. This thread has been reported.

8. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Actually I would argue that in *some* cases it is ok to talk about p2p.

goodtimes5 could just be trying to download a Linux distro, which is perfectly legal.

But he/she could also be trying to download copyrighted material (ex. movies, music) which is illegal.

But goodtimes5 has not specified which type of material he/she is trying to download, so therefore we must assume that he/she is not trying to download copyrighted material.

Innocent until proven guilty.

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

You're certainly allowed to talk about P2P. Piracy, on the other hand, is a no-no. Where is there ANY piracy talk in this thread?

As far as the original question, it will only download from multiple sources if the original file matches in size, name, and metadata. So the chances of getting a corrupt file from another source is very low-- it's usually the exact same file. Probably, *both* sources have a corrupt file. It's not unusual on Limewire to find hundreds of copies of a single corrupt file, because so many people download it, then don't delete it... just continue sharing.

paul

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Unless there are rules somewhere on MacRumors that I have not come across, in the rules I have read the only thing remotely related to P2P is the rule regarding no Warez/Serialz sharing (#4 if I remember correctly) - which isn't even close to P2P discussions, as we're not peddling warez or blatantly typing serial #s in posts for people to use - we are discussing software programs and in this case, difficulties/questions regarding them. Show me in the rules where it says we can't discuss this and I'll gladly retract my statements. Otherwise, quit overreacting - gootimes5 was simply asking for some advice and we are trying to be helpful - that's what good members do here in the MacRumors community.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A clarification of the rules: Discussion of P2P software, including limewire, is permissible. In arn's own words:
    In other words, posting a link to clearly illegal downloadable material is against forum rules, but discussing features of P2P software and the technical aspects is fine.

NusuniAdmin did what we have asked all forum members to do: report potential violations of forum rules. In this case, the members who have seen this P2P issue come up before are correct in explaining that P2P isn't automatically piracy, and this thread has been ok. Directing personal insults toward NusuniAdmin for bringing up the question is inappropriate.

12. aStabell macrumors member

aStabell

I am connected to the internet via an airport setup, how can I open the ports? I have the firewall turned off in the system prefs/sharing/firewall.