limewire on a mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigben334, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigben334 macrumors regular

im going to order my macbook pro soon....and im still deciding on whether im gonna install limewire or not...im definitely not buying music from itunes so dont even suggest that...but will limewire hurt my computer? does it hav spyware, adware, viruses or watever else is bad that these file sharing applications hav? and if not limewire, wat should i install...?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I would suggest that you not be a thief and get your music from legitimate sources. In fact, stuff ya, I will suggest iTunes. You wanna be a no-good music pincher go get your advice elsewhere.

3. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

you know limewire can be used for things other than stealing music right?

and bigben, i've heard that limewire doesn't work on intel macs yet but im not sure

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Chundles is right. We don't like piracy around here. However, I'll suggest another alternative. Real's Rhapsody is Mac compatible, and is another good, legal way to download music.

5. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

there's plenty of perfectly legal and safe downloads on Limewire and using it doesn't make you a thief, or more likely to get malware. the app itself is clean, it's the peers you need to worry about. but the only malware i've ever seen on there is targeted at Windows and has no effect on OS X. be aware and careful of what you are downloading and you should be fine. play at your own risk. there are also plenty of legal places to get music other than iTunes so i'm not going to pass any judgement. i lots of P2P sharing apps on my machine but Limewire is the one i use the most. it's solid and has many users. Poisoned is great for music but not much else. eDonkey stinks on the Mac. you can open some ports on your network to help but it's still kind of a dog. mlMac is ok but is still not complete. again, i recommend Limewire. been using it for years and years without a problem.

6. jcoffman78 macrumors newbie

Stealing?

You are correct in theat USING limewire doesn't make you a thief, but when you use it to download copyrighted material , then you are a thief. NO matter how you feel about the RIAA, if you download coyrighted music through Limewire or any other source it is illegal. So don't be a Jackass and steal peoples work!

7. getbigg21 Guest

yeah don't listen to all these people telling you not to steal blah blah blah. there are tons of great stuff on limewire. it is also compatable with the new intel macs. i am running it on mine right now. i would download it as soon as you get ur macbook. good luck

8. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Limewire is a piece of crap. The coding is in JAVA! sure....it uses the JIT (just in time) function but damn it is slow.......REALLY slow. I would look for an alternative. iTunes aint that bad....and a buck a song isnt that expensive either.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Legality issues aside, LimeWire (among other file sharing apps) has been known to cripple wireless networks (irrespective of bandwidth throughput) and cause kernel panics. In other words, it's really not all that good for your computer.

Having said that, the file sharing alternatives aren't all that much better. :eek:

10. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

on a constructive note, try Acquisition. unlike limewire, it doesn't screw up a Mac. It is Universal too, so no intel issues.

if you want something to use to connect to the limewire network, and don't want to use the awful official client, use this.

11. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

This thread belong to Mac OS Applications not hardware

12. el greenerino macrumors regular

Yes, Acquisition is much better. I have never downloaded anything from iTunes because paying a buck for 128kb music is for saps. I'll save my money for the CD or the book.

P.S. I'll condon piracy. For what is the monetary value of art but the milking of consumers' laxity with money? I justify buying CDs because I like their physicality and I don't want Apple telling me how I can listen to music the artist has decided to share with me. The relationship between artist and audience is about consciousness and emotion, not business.

Soapbox over.

13. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

In my opinion a buck a song is simply way too expensive. If I want an album with 12 songs I pay 12 bucks, the same price if I buy the cd at a store. But if I buy a cd I get far better quality and a hopefully nice booklet with the lyrics. I buy my music, but I buy cds, because I think paying the same for mp3s is simply not the same bang for the buck. Mp3s really should cost nothing more than 50 cent, therefore half the price of a cd, since the music industry also saves production costs of cds (burning, printing). Plus if I have my cds I have the stuff I've bought in my shelf. What if I buy mp3s for 500 bucks and then my hard disk crashes, or my laptop gets stolen, then all the music and the money is gone.

Sorry if this doesn't fit in here. Just wanted to point out my opinion, but to each their own.

14. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Thank god everybody isn't a "do-gooder"

Just because somebody sits in a chair somewhere and decides that we have to pay more for tracks that are popular and less for unpopular tracks - just because the artists want that third appartment overlooking the tepid sea waters - and just because I don't have the money.

Paying £12 - 18 for a CD is as ludicrous as football players getting the millions they do for running around in shorts, hurling abuse and kicking a small pocket of air around.

15. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

This isn't about being a do-gooder-this is about having morals and knowing right from wrong. Right:buying your music. Wrong:stealing your music. And even though I don't make a ton of money while celebrities, athletes and mucisians make ungodly amounts of money I'm not going to be silly enough to use that as an excuse for stealing. Scenario: I can't afford a MacBook Pro. So I go to the Apple store in the middle of the night, break in, and steal a MacBook Pro. What a relief to know that when I get caught I could just whine about how poor I am, how rich others are, and how I'm entitled to free stuff for those reasons. :rolleyes:
    The fact that you haven't not given one plausable reason for STEALING shows how very wrong you are.

To the OP...Limewire sucks, and honestly I known people say "It can be used for legit file sharing" but 99% of the people who say that are using it to steal what isn't rightfully theirs-that is just their justification. Just buy your music.

16. ShaggyLR macrumors member

As a musician, may I ask how people who play music are to make a living off of their art if you think buying it is bad? Sure, the record companies screw with that artist-listener relationship, but musicians still have to put food on the table, and their not all rich like Bono.

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

p2p has other uses besides music...like p0rn :p
    It's also much easier to download hot releases off of p2p, especially when the official server gets overloaded. Especially true when Blizzard comes out with new WoW patches...

I would stay away from Limewire like it's a virus (I used it on XP once, and my comp was never the same..)

Currently I use Aqualite, but here's a good list.
    http://www.pure-mac.com/p2p.html

18. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

not exactly true because the iTunes music store typically sells albums for around $9.99. i've never seen an album on there that costs as many dollars as there were songs on the album. but i agree, the quality pretty much stinks if you're listening on any real decent hi-fi equipment.

19. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I second the Aquisition Vote, its a beautiful functional program, make sure you buy the licence as it makes the experience all the more enjoyable...

ShadOW

20. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

i paid for it too :)

one of the few programmes i've ever downloaded which i actually wanted to pay for because it was just SOOO good!

21. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i'll ignore your comments and assuming you're using it for legal purposes ;)
    an alternative i'd suggest is bittorrent. a good client will allow you to only download selected files out of a torrent (for example 2 songs off of an independent, released-for-free, perfectly legal, album)
    people like azureus i think, but i do all my torrenting (and everything else :rolleyes: ) on windows where i use bitlord...

22. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

What exactly happens when you register Acquisition?

I always thought about it but never did.

23. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Who ever try to defend the OP use of LimeWire is wrong, he says "don't we suggest using iTMS" so we know he is talking about downloading things that Apple sells, which means he is steal. This thread is going wasteland soon i bet!

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There is nothing wrong with using p2p applications for legal purposes.

I've never bought any songs from iTunes Music Store but I haven't done anything illegal. I've bought CDs, instead. We can assume two things about the original poster but it's not a good idea to assume.

Limewire is probably the only p2p software that's working correctly on Intel machines because it does use the Java environment.

25. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Agreed. And if you're gonna pirate music...at least do it right and use Bit Torrent.....Limewire is old news....:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.