limewire question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dave1234, May 31, 2003.

1. dave1234 macrumors regular

How can i get my downloads from limewire to be more reliable like less...
    Busy waiting
    and "can not download" messages

2. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

don t use limewire :D that should help.
    there is an itms. use that one.

3. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Thats just the way it is man,

You win some, you lose some.

4. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

get "Aquisition"
    and befor people tell me to use the itunes music store, i cant, i live in canada. Anyways my mom always tought me to share, and thats what p2p is sharing.
    so yeah, get aquisition. it still runs on the crappy gnutella network but w/e

aethier

5. alset macrumors 65816

alset

If you stuck with the thing about Canada, I'd have nodded and agreed. The bit about "mom taught me to share," however, is probably the weakest rationalization I have ever heard. P2P, in this sense, is theft. Just fess up. We all bend the rules, but come on!

Dan

6. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

I had a look at Limewire and had a good laugh at the get-out-of-jail link to Amazon.com. Of course! everyone just uses Limewire as a search engine for a big shopping expedition :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity I downloaded Aquisition yesterday to have a look at what Mac pirates get up to. They can keep it, seriously. It is impressive to see the search engine coughing up loads of copies of Office X and Matrix reloaded and whatever song, but that's where the fun ends IMO. By the time the caring P2P sharers have got their act together to download you 150MB of software it'll be out of date. And nobody wanted to upload any of my lecture notes.

I think it is a brilliant idea in principle to be able to borrow and preview a full working copy of say Office X, if you have the moral fibre to go out and buy the full working copy when you can see some use for it. And to download ONE song from an album for review purposes, again, not too bad an idea. But even a sanctimonious ****like me would find the temptation too much after a while.

I am fairly sure the bloke who built the Aquisiition site never sold a second of his own music in his life, and he is so into sharing his intellectual rights that he charges $15 for the privilege of using his creation. Maybe i was just unlucky, but he has a programme that also affected the performance of my clean OSX partition, ie turned my firewall off and somehow put the Window manager into overdrive, turned all my fans on and generally teed me off. I sent the programme back into hyper space. Mob rule is not the way to go.

My bought and paid for 2 cents . Long live Versiontracker et al

7. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

8. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Re: limewire question

Acquisition 0.92 I know it's been mentioned, but now you have a link! :)

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I find it so funny when people think that the iTMS replaces p2p networks... as if the only thing being shared was music (and mainstream music at that).

Also, it's really annoying when someone asks a question about application functionality regarding a p2p application and gets rants about the immorality of file sharing in response. You don't know what is being downloaded or that anything illegal (I won't even touch the morality question) is involved.

If what you have to say does not answer the question about *how the software functions,* maybe you should start your own thread to rant. It can be called "why p2p file sharing is theft" or something abnoxiously sanctimonious like that.

10. alset macrumors 65816

alset

By the same measure, I use lots of P2P apps and I am happy to share what I have learned about them. However, I do not retract my above post. I was responding to a comment made to justify sharing, and I thought the justification was the worst I had ever heard.

I tend to find that users who handle the P2P apps maturely always get a solid and fair response.

Dan

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I was referring to several posts, of which yours was not the worst offender. Also note that the person who offered the justification for using p2p sharing only did so because others had already started getting on their high horses.

There is no issue of how "maturely" p2ps are being used here. The question was about software functionality, and the responses should have been restricted to that issue.

12. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Sharing is caring and don't hide it, divide it!