LimeWire

Discussion in 'Community' started by madamimadam, Oct 17, 2002.

1. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I am so sick of the lack of stuff on the Limewire network... anyone know a better program?

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

3. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

aquasition is so cool, find heaps and its free, but its uses so much CPu, around 60% but its good

4. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I have someone asking me about a Mac version of Morpheus

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Ah. SyncMan has finally seen the light. :)

Acquisition has a much better overall interface, compared to Limewire. I hardly use it anymore. You may hear some people, saying that the Pro version has this improved, that fixed, etc. But why bother to pay to have something fixed, when you can use something that works?

Rumors of a Mac version of Morpheous were discussed a while back. Others are waiting impatiently for a Mac version of Kazaa to appear. In the meantime, Acquisition would be an excellent alternative.

6. job macrumors 68040

job

Are you serious... :eek:

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I'm serious, specially when your searching for something , it so bogged down even for a cocoa app, run it , then do top in the terminal

8. job macrumors 68040

job

I'll have to d/l it and try it when I get home..

9. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

It does use a bit of cpu but its not that bad, i actually find it to be less bloated and way more responsive than limewire was. I frequently have it running in the background on my tibook 500 while i'm using photoshop, dreamweaver or flash and don't have a problem.

I love it, i won't go back to limewire.

10. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I used run kazza on XP but its a hassle , now since the speed of VPC is shocking, the need to update it,

11. job macrumors 68040

job

Yeah Acquisition is pretty good...

Won't be going back to Limewire anytime soon..

12. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Firstly, thanks for your help guys

Secondly, Acq. seems to be pretty cool but I have not had enough time to fully test it out

Thirdly, I would suggest Acq. is more responcive than LimeWire because, to the best of my knowledge, LimeWire is a Java App.

Lastly, I was hoping there was a 3rd party app that could run Morpheus and/or Kazza for this guy (he is a PC person who would never have touched Apple until OS X came along and now he is moving the focus of his retail store to Mac and it would have been good to have a solution for everything... saying that, LimeWire and Acq. will be great once he gets used to them).

13. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(e-small print coil :D) wow! what a great app. thanks to hemingray!

Sometimes it's helpful to never get any sleep. :p

I used to use Limewire since version 1.4, thinking that it could keep getting better and better. Now, a full version number later, we have something called stability issues, as if that's ever improved. :rolleyes:

When I first heard about Acquisition people were talking about how great it was, etc. and I requested a link. I was hooked. I haven't really noticed the CPU usage, since I'm on dial-up and I just do something else while waiting to finish a download.

So we all agree?
    Acquisition: [​IMG]
    Lamewire: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. stromie952 macrumors regular

I love the interface and the application that is Aquisition, but I still can't use it full time.

I can find SO much more on Limewire than I can in Aquisition for the simple fact that Limewire, if you are using an older verison, can connect to more hosts. As of right now, I connect to 75 hosts on Limewire and Aquisition is limited to 20.

Also, download reliability on Limewire, for me, is orders of magnitude better than Aquisition's. I can only rarely get things to completely download in Aquisition.

It is a shame, since Aquisition is a much better application, but for functionality, Limewire is still the best we have on the Mac.

16. job macrumors 68040

job

I would really like Aquisition a lot more though if you could limit/narrow searches like you can in Limewire..

i.e. only search for software or .mp3s instead of both at the same time.

17. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I love how what would be considered childish in the "real" world is actually just nerdy in the pooter world, ie. Lamewire and WinBlows.

No offence meant there, it makes me laugh

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I agree. That gets annoying.

I like Acquisition more though it is a lot faster at non-downloading things and a lot easier on the eyes. 20 Hosts max instead of 6 too.