Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I am planning on getting a Mac Mini for Christmas, and i was wondering if limewire on a mac is able to get viruses? The last time i used kazaa my whole computer crashed. People that use limewire on their macs, is it safe to use? And can i save it onto an external hard drive so i can for sure not get any viruses on my Mac Mini?

Thank you,
TyPod

backsidetailsli

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2006
Toronto!
I am planning on getting a Mac Mini for Christmas, and i was wondering if limewire on a mac is able to get viruses? The last time i used kazaa my whole computer crashed. People that use limewire on their macs, is it safe to use? And can i save it onto an external hard drive so i can for sure not get any viruses on my Mac Mini?

Thank you,
TyPod
if a mac cant get a virus then it cant. doesnt matter what program you are using. i use limewire all the time and never had a problem

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
No problems or viruses from limewire for me. Don't worry about it, you will be fine. (running windows... that's a different story)

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Poisoned does many services and is free, but a bit slow (but still better than Lamewire.)
Acquisition is fast, but only does Gnutella (same as Lamewire) and nags if you don't pay.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I also vote for Acquisition. Whatever you do, anything is better than Limewire. There are so many Mac alternatives to Limewire to choose from, and they're all like 10 times better.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

Thank you,
TyPod

There are no viruses for Mac OSX so unless you want to use the Windows version of Limewire in Windows on your Mac you won't get a virus.

You don't need to worry about viruses or any other form of malware when you use OSX.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
You don't need to worry about viruses or any other form of malware when you use OSX.

Though it is neither a virus or malware, you do need to be wary with .WMV files which, when played, will open up browser windows with various sites in them, which may themselves spawn pop-ups.

It has happened with .MOV files too.

Just be careful when looking for hard-to-find music videos not to get all excited and start downloading all the little 300Kb or so WMV files...

EDIT: AcquisitionX will let you block certain file types and files under a certain size, mind you. Very handy.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
A bit OT but will Bit comet (torrent download thing) work on Mac OS X Tiger? If not can anyone recommend some other good torrent programs?

XTorrent still in beta atm, but its by the same guy as AcqX and its great.

If you need something more advanced, Azureus is my personal choice, but its a bit of a RAM-Hog as its built in Java. *Mark would love to see a propper version, built in real-code*

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks for the comments. Are you guys sure NOTHING will happen to my mac and nothing bad will happen to it. Sorry i'm so picky, i just don't want anything to go wrong. Thanks!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Are you guys sure NOTHING will happen to my mac and nothing bad will happen to it.

How could anyone be sure of that? Perhaps tomorrow lightening will strike it. Just be sure to make backups of your data and do not co-late the backup media with the computer.

But if you are worried about a Windows style virus, that's a "Windows Thing" It's like getting a flat tire is a "Car Thing" and ripping a hole in your space suit is an "Astronaut Thing". Neither of these things happen to Macs don't worry about them.

UmaThurman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2006
Georgia
TYPOD, don't worry about anything. I got my C2D MBP a few weeks ago, my first mac. I've used pcs up until now, and when I first got it I was worried about all those really lame viruses you can get. There's nothing to worry about with a mac. I just surf the net and don't worry about dling something lame like that. I didn't even install a firewall, there's already one that comes with the operating system (though you have to turn it on yourself). So no worries k? You won't regret using a mac.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks everybody. People that are using Acquisition, do you just use the free version or did you pay for it? The app looks way better than limewire!

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Why i dont like AcquisitionX, a short story by me.

I used to play Ambrosia Software games.

They were fun.

They took something classic, made it new, and asked for nothing if you didnt enjoy it.

Occasionally it was a Demo mode, or Hector came to annoy you.

But the small fee(s) were worth a good ORIGINAL piece of code.

Acquisition's use of the GPLed LimeWire core libraries has caused some controversy. Critics argue that the two parts of Acquisition (the GUI and the modified LimeWire core) are not really independent (either is useless without the other) and thereby constitute a single work which cannot be relicensed.[1] The author maintains that Acquisition does not break the terms of the GPL since the graphical user interface and the open-source, modified LimeWire core are actually run as separate processes, communicating via UNIX pipes, pointing to a paragraph in the GPL FAQ that indicates piped communication is a method of separate programs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquisitionx
http://groups.sims.berkeley.edu/osdddi/?p=52
http://www.acquisitionx.org/

I once dled Acquisition.

It was useful.

He took something crappy, and made it easier to use.

All the time, nagged for a dollar, quit the program, forced open web window to his site, too many searches, rendered inoperable until you click purchase...

The "small" fees are not worth the GUI of someone elses FREE code.

Acquisition is like a little child always begging you to play with it, cuz no one likes it. Those who use it, or even those who paid for it, IMO didnt look hard enough at other alternatives that werent "stolen" in so many words...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.