Limit on Halo 3 Beta?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Tommyg117, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I just went and preordered Crackdown from EBGames because I want to get in on the Halo 3 beta. AFTER I had paid, the guy said, "There is a chance that you won't be getting the beta code because it didn't say anything about it in our system". Great. So here is my question, do any of you know whether they have a limit on people allowed in the Beta or is it people that have preordered Crackdown? (I know I'm a little late to the pre-order party, but I didn't decide I wanted to partake until after I played the Crackdown Demo)

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

The Halo 3 invites will be in the first shipment. After that, you're out of luck.

3. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

According to bungie, all copies sold before the beta should come with access. And if you don't get it there, just go to walmart or target, they always have more copies. EB & Gamestop are stupid anyways.

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

We've been told at work (Via Bungie in store press release type thing)

25,000 places worldwide. 18,000 Reserved for the US. First come, first served.

Enjoy. :)

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think what I'm going to do is buy the game when it comes out, play it like a rental and only keep it about a week, then sell it back to EBgames or something. They usually give most of the money back if you get it to them in the first month of so. That way I get to play the game and get the Halo 3 demo. I bet I could get back about $40.

6. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Hmmm, I don't know if that means that I'm gonna get it or not. I really hope that they come through and I get it. Otherwise I might be taking Crackdown back

7. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Can't. You must have the Crackdown disk in to play the Halo 3 beta. The bad thing is, TONS of people are gonna do that, and then they are screwed.

8. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

You will need the Crackdown disc to play the Halo 3 Beta.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I think I figured out where you went wrong...

10. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Are you sure? I figured it was just a code that allowed you to download a Halo 3 beta when it is released. So you're saying that everyone who got a bid earlier for the beta testing is going to be gettting a free version of Crackdown? I highly doubt that.

11. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

No, but with Crackdown, the 'launcher' and downloader for the Beta is in the game itself. It won't be launchable from the Dashboard if you get it via Crackdown.

As for the drawings and the like, I am not sure what they will be doing. They might send out launcher CDs, or they might use a download key like with arcade games in the Live bundles.

However, with Crackdown, it has been shown that the downloader within the game itself is used to get the Beta and play it.

12. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Ha, yeah, maybe I should just go get it at bestbuy.

13. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

It wont matter where you get it from, just how fast you can get it on Launch morning, get home and register yourself. 18,000 places only, gonna be a lot of people wanting one.

14. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

any chance of getting one of the copies that has the beta without a preorder? or am i screwed?

15. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

So do you think if I get there when they open and then register when I get home? How do I do it? (assuming my copy has the beta code in it:mad: )

16. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

It depends, if you go to the store that isnt sold out and buy one as soon as they open then I guess you have just as much chance.

I'd say it'll be a code over xbox live. As far as I know, every box has a code in, its just first come first served as to which ones work...

This may all be wrong, but thats how we have been told its going to work.

17. gco212 macrumors 6502

From ign:

January 24, 2007 - Millions want a chance to play Halo 3 online prior to its release, which has lead to some stressful nights for fans. With limited openings in the Internet lottery and Xbox Live competition, most gamers must rely on receiving the golden ticket that comes with a retail copy Crackdown. Some have mistakenly been lead to believe that only a select number of copies of Crackdown will contain Halo3 beta invites. This is not true.

A Microsoft representative confirmed to IGN that every copy of the initial run of Crackdown includes an invite to the Halo 3 beta. If you want in on the beta (and didn't earn an invite by other means), purchase a copy of Crackdown on February 20 and you'll be set. You can even purchase a copy on February 21 or even March 15 and still be in the clear. Clearly, you won't be able to purchase a copy of Crackdown months down the road and expect to find a beta invite inside. If you're a bit late the party, just make sure the box is marked as having the beta and you'll be in the clear. Oh, and you'll get a copy of Crackdown to boot. Sweet!

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/758/758236p1.html

18. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Bet everyone who thought Markleshark was right was terrified if they pre-ordered Crackdown specifically for the Halo 3 beta…