Limitations of the White MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 27, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Sounds like a perfect laptop for my two older daughters (one of whom is now home schooled).

They don't need all the sizzle and specs of a full blown MacBook Pro or MacBook unibody.

3. macrumors 68020

Beric

Yup. The white Macbook is still a bit overpriced, but it's definitely the best model in Apple's entire computer lineup.

And BTW, I was homeschooled, and just graduated last year. Good luck with your daughter! :cool:

4. macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I'll join the festivities. I was homeschooled for 12 years.

I've been thinking about selling my whitebook and getting the new one. I'm really liking the Nvidia card. I don't think it's crippled/limited compared to many other Apple products. The faithful whitebook is unfairly being singled out.

5. macrumors 6502

Um. Really?

Overall, I'm a fan of the transition to unibody Macbooks but I think in the case of the non-Pro version the white MacBook is to much of a contender--especially with the upgrade to the 9400M. This reviewer brings up a few interesting points, like the fact that one USB port can't deliver a full 500mA (I've never heard of that before but it could be true). Most of the other differences are mute at this point.

• DDR2 vs. DDR3 there really isn't that big of a speed difference, the real advantage is power usage and heat.
    • LED vs. CFL: LED is better but only marginally for most people especially considering the quality of the non-Pro MacBooks' screens. The big differences between LED and CFL lit backlights are truer colors (although the cheaper LCD of the non-Pro is going to make a bigger difference than the backlight), less wattage per brightness, and faster on/off time. Because CFLs contain hazardous materials I'm happy to see the switch but I'm not sure how much of an "advantage" this translates to for a MacBook buyer.
    • Slower CPU? What? It is the same CPU found in the base-line UniBody. Perhaps the reviewer mean there are no CPU upgrade options which is true, but then you can always but a last generation or refurb MBP for what the mid-level Unibody MacBook is going to cost. And it will way outperform it and have a much nicer screen.
    The upside of the White MacBook is firewire, a real important feature for amateur and prosumer musicians and videographers. I feel the only true advantage--at this point--to the Unibody MacBook is the build quality. They really seem solid. Is that worth giving up firewire AND paying a $300 premium? That's up to you but Apple has now made the choice harder IMHO.

6. macrumors 68040

iParis

Well I'm not homeschooled but a WhiteBook sounds right for me, does it not?
    All I mainly do is browse the internet, play a little games, hook up my 640GB WD and iPod, and probably a keyboard and mouse.
    Although, since it will be my first Mac I'll probably do some music/video editing just for fun since I have had the chance since I'm on a PC.

7. macrumors G5

nagromme

The BIG advantage of LED is the long life. My laptop before this one is still useful, even overkill for some people, but the screen is now dim. Whether I keep it or try to sell it, that hurts. My laptop before THAT is VERY dim, but still a functional computer--connected to an external display.

But my current Air, with LED backlight, will remain usable for much longer.