Limited space on Powebook

Discussion in 'iPod' started by chepistolas, Oct 14, 2006.

1. chepistolas macrumors member

chepistolas

So I just recently bought a 5.5G 80Gb Ipod. I bought it thinking I can hook it up to my old Quicksilver, but I came to realize that the new Ipod didn't have Firewire :mad: I hit the floor. SO, I have a Powerbook with 80Gb but only 15Gb free. I want to convert my movies and videos to put them in the ipod but I don't know if I can keep them on the Ipod while I delete them from my original Itunes library on the Powerbook. I want to fill my Ipod but I lack space on my primary hard drive to have content, How do I make room for other shows and music???

2. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

just buy an external hard drive for it that's at least 100gb.

3. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Or upgrade the internal drive, like I did. I went from an 80gig internal like you to a 160gig drive. I love it! :D

4. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

good idea, but you'd need both to transfer all of your files to the new drive.

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Yup, but unless he's getting rid of his current drive, he'll probably buy an external firewire enclosure for it (that's what I did), so transferring wouldn't be a problem.

6. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I may be wrong...

But doesn't Apple or someone else sell a firewire cable for the new iPods. I've got a non-firewire 4th Gen iPod that came with one. Thats how I use it with my iBook. I was NOT going to transfer music using USB 1.1! :rolleyes:

If Apple doesn't have it anymore (I know they made one, I'm looking at it) check out the iPodlounge, they've got a ton of iPod stuff!

Good Luck,

Coachingguy

7. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Sadly, the new iPods don't have a firewire port.

8. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I know the new iPods don't have the firewire on top or bottom anymore. I was referring to the cable. I have a cable that has a firewire connection on one end and the new iPod connection on the other end. My cable came with my 4th Gen iPod, but did not come with my Color Screen iPod. I can use my firewire/iPod cable with any of the new iPods.

Coachingguy

9. dustininsf macrumors newbie

Even though you can physically plug a firewire-dock cable into the 5/5.5G iPods and the nanos, the cable will only provide power to charge the device (if connected to a powered firewire port!). Because there is no firewire chipset/circuitry on those Pods, you will not be able to transfer any data.

10. pbelmore macrumors member

I was preparing for this problem (although I'm only getting a Nano, but the point is that my MDD only had FireWire and I didn't want to transfer music over to my 12" PowerBook), so I bought a USB 2 card for the MDD. Maybe you don't have any PCI slots available, but if you do, cards are real cheap (I got this one from OWC) and work great. $20-$30 is much better than spending so much time copying back and forth (or $100 on a new HD for the PowerBook).

Just my two cents.

11. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

That is true. The firewire charges but the USB charges and transfers data. Why is it such a problem not having a firewire port?? The Tibooks still have USB2 so it is fine.

12. chepistolas thread starter macrumors member

chepistolas

Thanks for all of your help. I recently bought a 250 GB harddrive for the Powermac so I was hesitant to buying another hard drive for the powerbook( I am still a student). However I did buy a USB 2.0 PCI card for the Powermac and now I can sync. I moved all of my music to the hardrive through target mode and Itunes on the Powermac just quits when syncyng. Just to warn you guys.

13. diametric macrumors regular

diametric

Quick easy solution. What I use anyway, add to iTunes, add to iPod, delete from Mac, keep on iTunes. Works a charm.

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Erm, the first PowerBooks with USB 2.0 were released in Sept. '03 (the first Aluminum 15", plus the first DVI 12", and a speed-bumped 17")

15. ctsport1234 macrumors regular