Limiting Bandwidth set from Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bradillac, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Bradillac macrumors newbie

This is a simple question, but I have a feeling the solution won't be as simple.

Ok, I live in a dorm room with a roommate. I have a G4 powerbook and he has a G5 tower of some sort. Anyway, I pay for broadband access and kindly allow him to connect to it by sharing it with him over my Airport card. He has this bad habit, however, of setting like a million torrents to download and leaving or going to sleep or whatever, thus making my internet really sluggish. Being that I am a youtube freak at the moment I need all be bandwidth I can get.

So basically I was wondering if there was a way to limit the bandwidth that is sent over my Airport card so that i can limit him to something around 400kbps or maybe less.

I'm sorry that my first post has to be so long winded and needy.. but what can I say. This place has got to be one of the most populated, compident, mac communities i've found.. so I guess I can't help but try and expoit that. :D

2. DanielNTX macrumors regular

Replace the airport with a router that has QoS (Quality of Service) controls by MAC/IP/User etc.

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

tell him to limit his upload to 15KBps or so in his torrent client. this should do the trick without the need to buy anything extra.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

you could also get a m0n0wall. Get firewall that can run on ANY PC. Very stable and you can use the traffic shapper on it to make p2p traffic not use much bandwidth when others want it. But he can still use more bandwidth when others are not using it.