Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
I've noticed when I have Outlook 2001 (exchange) open running on classic9 environment... Jaguar seems to choke somewhat. When I open my harddrive from the Finder... the windows chug.

If I 'hide' Outlook 2001 .. Everything runs smooth.

Could this be something with OS9 and Quartz?

I'm running Jaguar 10.2 on a Dual 1Ghz G4 with 1GB Ram.

It wasn't chugging before the upgrade.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Probably, it's that you've got Quartz Extreme going and then you have a QuickDraw-based application running too.

Not only does Outlook 2001 not have video acceleration because it doesn't use Quartz, but the operating system has to load the non-accelerated version of the video along with the accelerated version and it makes memory tight and has to use virtual memory on your hard drive to keep going.

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
Thanks bousozoku. It makes total sense now.

What I just realized, since i'm running dual monitors I am able to keep Outlook on the secondary monitors allowing the primary monitor to use Quartz without any interruption.

This has solved it for me until Micro$oft updates Entourage to be able to run Exchange at 100%.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Glad that I could help. The PCI video card by itself would have some effect even if Outlook 2001 wasn't running, but I would hope that it would be diminished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.