Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlliePallie

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
I used the DEC version, the LINC-8, for a long time. Nice machine. Both the PDP-8 and the LINC used an order code roughly similar to that on the IBM 704 machines but a bit different. One used 1's complement arithmetic, the other 2's complement arithmetic. The DEC version used both processors, intertwined, which made assembler programming rather interesting. So was printing everything out on the ASR-33 teletype. Still, the Dectape drives were very reliable and the CRT display was well ahead of most at the time (1960s).
It is also amazing that one could do a hell of a lot of interesting stuff with, on my machine, 8K of 1.4 MHz RAM and very, very careful assembler programming.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I used the DEC version, the LINC-8, for a long time. Nice machine. Both the PDP-8 and the LINC used an order code roughly similar to that on the IBM 704 machines but a bit different. One used 1's complement arithmetic, the other 2's complement arithmetic. The DEC version used both processors, intertwined, which made assembler programming rather interesting. So was printing everything out on the ASR-33 teletype. Still, the Dectape drives were very reliable and the CRT display was well ahead of most at the time (1960s).
It is also amazing that one could do a hell of a lot of interesting stuff with, on my machine, 8K of 1.4 MHz RAM and very, very careful assembler programming.
Ah, memories of an era long gone.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I started on an LAB-8/E (PDP-8 for laboratory).
I read a lot about the LINK but never saw one.
Btw.: there's also an ancient language LINC, by BURROUGHS.
;JOOP!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Ah, memories of an era long gone.

No, not gone. I'm using 8-bit processors and 4k to 8k of memory today. You can still do a lot of stuff, like for example control motion control of a robot motor. What's changed is the price and size of the 8-bit CPU. I'm using tiny chips the cost about $2 each. and are much smaller and cheaper than the electric motor they control.

One of the last times I did this was to use two temperature sensors and a tiny 8-bit computer to control the speed of an exhaust fan so as to keep the temperature inside an enclosure constant. The electronics inside (an atomic clock) needed to be kept at some stable temperature. The total controller was about 1/2 inch square and costs practically nothing but it is very much the same as we did decades ago.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No, not gone. I'm using 8-bit processors and 4k to 8k of memory today. You can still do a lot of stuff, like for example control motion control of a robot motor. What's changed is the price and size of the 8-bit CPU. I'm using tiny chips the cost about $2 each. and are much smaller and cheaper than the electric motor they control.

One of the last times I did this was to use two temperature sensors and a tiny 8-bit computer to control the speed of an exhaust fan so as to keep the temperature inside an enclosure constant. The electronics inside (an atomic clock) needed to be kept at some stable temperature. The total controller was about 1/2 inch square and costs practically nothing but it is very much the same as we did decades ago.
Very cool stuff. Those components in 1974 cost thousands of dollars...lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.