Lindows comparison slams Apple with misinformation

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacBoyX, Feb 20, 2003.

1. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

Has anyone else see the news articles on yahoo and the comparison charts on Lindows.com about their new "Mobile" computer?

Lindows has a $799 mobile pc running Lindows and they claim it to be more than half the price of an iBook. They then go on to talk list the pricing and specs for the 12" PowerBook, listing it as an iBook.

They should tell the truth, you can get an Apple iBook for 999 that is way closer to the configuration of the Lindows Mobile PC. Why do we have to always deal with negative press. How many non-Apple folks or people on the fence will see that and though they may not buy the Lindows PC, get the impression that all Apple laptops are over the $1500 mark?

The $999 iBook is an amazing value for a computer that out performs most Windows laptops.

I suggest we all contact the PR department at Lindows.com and let them know how wrong they are! Maybe an email to Mr. Jobs too.

Sorry for the rant. It just makes me mad.

MacBoyX

2. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

They also say that the iBook has an 867 MHz G4. :rolleyes:

From Yahoo-
    'The company contrasted its Lindows Mobile PC to an Apple iBook notebook computer priced at $1,799 with a 867 megahertz processor. The Apple iNote is nearly twice the weight but also boasts a hard disk double the size of the Lindows machine.

"The Lindows Mobile PC has a similar shape, size and power as the new Apple iNote but costs less than half the price," Lindows.com said. '

iNote? Does Lindows know something we don't?

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

No, they don't know something we don't. This has been a common abbreviation used by the press for a while. Combine iBook with Notebook and then abbreaviate it.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Did you notice they also compared it to a PDA to show off it's features :rolleyes: How stupid are the Lindows people? I just submitted one of their feedback forms and ranted at them a little bit. It felt good.

JW

5. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

I was joking. :p

Had no idea about the abbrevbiation, though. Thanks for the clarification.

6. howard macrumors 68020

howard

wow thats bad, you'd think a person would actually get all his facts straight before writing an article. just goes to show you that there are probably a lot more false things on the internet than we know...and if your ever doing research...you never know, it could be false

7. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

8. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

10. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Why can't they just call it Lindows OS instead of Lindows OS OS? That's just a tad redundant.

11. vniow macrumors G4

You have no idea how many times I've corrected them over this.

I've already made a thread in their forums about it and if anyone's interested, you can post in the Guest Area and tell them your thoughts (no flames please)

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

On a side-topic, the staff of Forbes.com need to be lined up against a wall and shot for putting a farking streaming video ad on that page. That's just over the line.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

14. charboneau macrumors member

I wonder if they assume that all their readers (or the only ones they care about) have broadband or if it's just bad design.

Actually there's no question that it's bad design.

15. spazum64 macrumors member

Re: Lindows comparison slams Apple with misinformation

Well, it's true, 799 is more than half of 999... obviously the implied meaning is "less than half"; maybe they're hoping that people will assume that and not check for facts. :)

Not only does Lindows lie about specs and comparisons, but they make a crappy OS. Although they mention the disadvantages of proprietary software, it's clear they're exploiting the Free Software community by taking the GNU OS, throwing in the Linux kernel, calling the whole OS "Linux" (and Open Source instead of Free Software), requiring people to pay for it, and generally trying to make it as proprietary as is legally possible. (They also promote the practice of installing proprietary software, which any company which really believes in free software wouldn't do.)

It's essentially like any other GNU:Linux distro, maybe with a slightly streamlined installation process, and taking away any of the philisophical benifits. Thanks a lot, Lindows.

16. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Not only that, it's also a tad retarded :D