Discussion in 'Community' started by cr2sh, Oct 7, 2002.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    I have to admit I know very little about this OS, I thought I'd file a thread and see what you guys thought about it. Any ideas?
  2. SilvorX macrumors 68000

May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    i have friends who tried it out...n they werent satisfied lol :S
    its basically linux with wine integrated in the OS. but the only thing it would be good for is those walmart computers :p lol, saving money on a computer..that is kinda windows free lol

i dont think spending about $230/2 years for freeware (and the odd shareware app) archive isnt worth the money...
  3. PCUser macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2002
    Well, being primarily a Linux user, I've only heard bad things about it (so therefore my post is biased. Oh, well). The two major problems I've heard:

1. Run as root. [edit: removed incorrect statement]. That's just default, you can change that. But still. Any *nix based OS shouldn't log newbie users in as root!

2. $99 a year subscription to "Click-N-Run" warehouse of... mostly open source programs you can download free of charge (with only a few non-free programs, such as StarOffice). Those programs also come free with Mandrake, RedHat, Lycrois, SuSE, etc. ("Free" since you can download the ISO's of those distros without charge and have the programs included in that.) A big rip-off.

Yes, Linux package management is horrible. But making newbies shell out $99 a year for the equivalent of what you can get for free from is just... sick.

Since I've never used it, I can't say for sure about it. But... I'd rather see someone do to Linux what Apple did to FreeBSD and Mach, then what Lindows is trying to do. Blech.
  4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
  5. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.

First, let me say, I've never used it either, so I may be unimformed about some stuff, but Lindows has interested me ever since I first heard of it so I try to keep up on the latest news.

Second of all I think they are charging too much for it at the moment. When they get a bunch more programs (plus some commercial ones), then I can see them charging $99 a year, but for now, it's overpriced. Although if you pay $99 now, you get two years free Click&Run membership plus access to the final release, a $129 value. (still too much in my opinion)

And yes you can download the iso files from Red Hat or Mandrake to get most of the apps found in C&R but installing them is a bitch, to say the least.
    I don't know about you, but writing a bunch of code just to make an app work is not worth my time.:rolleyes:
    I think you install the iso packeges differently but I'm not sure.

I have tried out Linux (Mandrake 8.2 to be specific) and ended up removing it cuz I couldn't get anything to work, especially my modem. To get even a simple thing like my modem to work, I had to download a .gz file, unpack the tarball and use the 'make' command to configure it. Well turns out I didn't have a 'make' command so I figured out how to access it, butI still couldn't get my modem to work.
    There were other apps I downloaded and attempted to get running as well, but I failed in all attempts.

The C&R idea is pure genius in my opinion. Yes most of those programs are avalible for free, but if you download a free iso from Red Hat or whatever, you get no support for it. (note I'm not including all the countless Linux support forums out there, but only 'official' support from the parent company.)
    Or if you decide to locate and download the apps individually, you must have at least some experience in writing even a little code and a lot of patience.
    To me, paying to get those apps to work is the same thing as paying a techie to come over to your house to get the apps to work, plus it's worth it as long as I never get to look at the terminal.:p

As for Lindows's potition in the marketplace, that's a little tough to figure out.
    What I think they're doing is targeting the low-end seeing as they made a big deal about the $199 Microtel PC awhile ago. If it takes off, I suspect that a lot of white-box manufacturers will start to include it as a primary or an optional OS with major PC manufacturers following suit.
    I also think they're targeting disgruntled MS users (i.e. me.;)) who want an alternative OS, but can't afford a Mac, or for some strange reason, hates Macs AND MS.:eek:

Anywayz, that's my view on it.

I apoligize for any stupid ininformed Linus statements I may have made since I haven't used it a whole lot. It may be great as a server OS, but other distros have a wayz to go in making it a reasonable desktop Os for most users.:)

Here's a review of v2.0 NOT linked from Lindows's site.;)
  6. PCUser macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2002
    I'm most definitely not in the demographic of LindowsOS. Being a programmer, and a Linux user who wants to see the kernel text scroll by (since if it hangs, I can tell what it hung on and dedude why), it definitely isn't for me. But... that doesn't mean it's not for other people.

Hope that explains where I'm coming from. :)
  7. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002

I think that your frinds ought to try out v2.0. Everything I've heard about it sez it's a helluva improvement.

I don't think they're marketing it's Windoze compatibility anymore for the sole reason that it's impossible. Pushing a bunch of Linux apps into the eye of the mainstream is what they're doing now and a better move in my opinion.
    If they suceed at least in that, then some bug guns like Adobe will make Linux-compatible versions of their software to put in the C&R Warehouse plus make then avalable for other distros as well.:)
  8. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002

Don't worry.
    I gotcha.;)
    Lindows wasn't designed with the server in mind (though I don't see why it couldn't be used as one ;))it was designed for the desktop.

I'll try it out sooner or later (hopefully as an early X-mas present :D) so I can finally give a first hand report on it.:)
  9. whitegold macrumors member

Oct 3, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia
    is there a point

Lindows unfortunately fits into a netherworld. If you want windows compatibility, frankly you're better off with windows.

If you want linux, there are better distributions.

If you're computer illiterate you're better off with a mac.

Ah ha ha ha... sorry... couldn't help it.

Seriously, I really can't see a market that lindows is particularly necessary to. Linux is, I'm sure we can all agree, an enthusiast's playground, and enthusiasts know how to work with wine or vmware if they need to.

Newbies or idiots (like myself) really have neither need nor interest in Linux. Most mainstream users have never heard of it.

Just my dollar fifty. (sorry... inflation)