Lindsay Lohan? Smacked down and PWNED!!!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ravenvii, Jul 29, 2006.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

2. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

pwned fits this thread like a glove

if only paris hilton got such a notice...

3. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It turned up on The Smoking Gun. Morgan Creek confirmed to ABC that the letter is genuine.

5. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

This happens a lot in the movie production business. Lindsay Lohan is just in the position to be able to get away with all this debauchery.

6. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Public use of liability clauses are not common practice. As this is not linked with the insurance company, its mostly a threat and PR for LL.

No such thing as bad publicity. Her stock just went up. She's at an age where being the bad girl is a good move.

A few cups of coffee, and bit of a toungue lashing, and things will be humming again on set.

7. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

When will people stop double-spacing after periods?

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Seeing how the average typing teacher is probably...65 years old...we've got awhile yet before people who learned to type on computers and not typewriters are teaching typing. :)

9. commonpeople macrumors regular

What a horrible letter. I feel sorry for her.

You shouldn't double space after periods? Really? That's news to me.

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Meh. I could spend my sympathy elsewhere.

Double spacing after a period is totally kosher. Enhances readability, declares the sentence as a more certain and contained unit.

Down with Descriptivists!

11. commonpeople macrumors regular

According to Wikipedia- HTML will eliminate the second space if given. So there's no difference between using a single or double spacing on a web-page- except that double spacing is a waste of a key stroke.

I doubt I would be able to break this habit even if I tried.

12. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

That's true. My first typing teacher told us NOT to do it, then with my High School one I had to learn TO do it. After I passed the class, I had to unlearn it. :mad:

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

hrmm, I still do.

But, they need to include the . inside the close quotes.

14. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

It is sad that that is so true. I'm embarrassed for humanity. :( :p :rolleyes:

15. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Today is the first day I have ever been told to not put extra space after a sentence. Both written and in typing class I have been told to add extra space after a sentence. As far as I, and most of the world, is concerned, 2 spaces is fine.

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That letter was poorly written and unprofessional. It would go straight through my shredder.

17. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

That mistake is frequently encountered. It seems the proper use of quotation marks is difficult for so many people.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

But... the Mac is not a typewriter. Typing teachers know nothing of typography...

Some, however, accept that in modern word-processing the single space is better because two spaces may stretch inordinately when full justification is applied. Additionally, many computer typefaces are designed proportionately to alleviate the need for the double space (the opposition would of course reply that this does nothing to satisfy the aforementioned saliency issue). Most modern typesetters, designers, and desktop publishers use only one space after a period, as do all mainstream publishers of books and journals.

Anyone who gives me copy with double-spacing, gets them all stripped out with the push of a button. Double-spaces look incredibly ugly and make white rivers so much more likely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_stop#Spacing_after_full_stop

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Although part of the problem there is that the 'correct' style varies depending on where you are in the world. To my British eyes the letter above looks correct by putting the full-stop outside the quotes and brackets. To your American eyes, the period is in the wrong place.

While I don't approve of Lindsay Lohan not meeting her contractual duties for partying, I do think it's a bit off to 'leak' this to the press too.

20. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Indeed. Americans tend to set punctuation inside of the closing quotation mark regardless of context, whereas the British, more logically, will only do so if the punctuation mark forms part of the quoted material. Accordingly, punctuation is always set outside of scare quotes in British practice.

Double spacing after full stops is just anachronistic.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not to go off topic (not that this the rest of this thread is), but I love the new Avatar. Is that Jenny Lewis? Looks like a publicity photo for her last album.

To be (kinda) on topic, never heard of Jenny partying hearty... but maybe that's why she's not as famous as she should be. :rolleyes: Stupid Hollywood. He says from about 10 miles away from Hollywood. :eek:

22. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Well, I'm sure her millions of dollars and being one of the most desirable women on the planet (still) will somehow soothe her pain.

23. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

One of the most desirable women on the planet? :eek: If you say so

I'm not gonna say she's not attractive at all, but there are many celebrities i would choose before Lohan.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Only in the US. Doesn't make sense unless the whole sentence is in quotes.

White rivers really piss you off, don't they? :D

25. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Well, it's certainly not her acting that warrants the ridiculous amount of attention she gets...

..actually, she doesn't get that much attention this side of the Atlantic. Or perhaps I don't/do read the right papers?