Line, Headphone, & Apple speaker minijack confusion

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Rags, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Rags macrumors member

Aug 27, 2002
    What is the difference between the Apple speaker jack and the Line or Headphone out? I'm referring to the new Power Macs.

I really like the front Headphone jack by the way, I use headphones rather than speakers and it's somewhat of a pain reaching behind the computer.
  2. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    The Apple speaker jack is for Apple speakers only. It's a little smaller than the one used for headphones and it's also amplified. The headphone jack is well, a headphone jack. The line-in on the back of the Powermac is for hooking up a mic or something else with a line or headphone out. I think Apple should put a digital out instead of their frelling speaker connector, but that's just me. :D
  3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    the speaker mini-jack is actually jsut a mini 3/32" stereo jack that is amplified to 20 watts...i learned this just recently...and only works with apple speakers...what a crock of crap...i agree...a digital out would be more usefull along with a normal 1/8" stereo jack (line-out)...
  4. Rajj macrumors 6502a

May 29, 2002
    32° 44' N 117° 10' W
    It is Apple being Apple!!!

In other words don't buy the Apple pro speakers, they are a piece junk!!! Just like the Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks!!!

You will get more bass and sound for your money going with any speakers that haves the 3.5mm jack!!:p ;)
  5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    >You will get more bass and sound for your money going with any speakers that haves the 3.5mm jack!!:p ;)

Those would either be the Cambridge Soundworks or the Klipsch models. :D

I'm listening to some audio via the audio jack on my iBook and some RadioShack earplugs. (If you can, go with the RadioShack earplugs. They're less of a pain in the neck to use than the iPod earplugs and you get better power out of them, instead of all the high-pitched distortion.) Luckily, I also have two jacks on my iMac in the front. They're well placed.