Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I have a microphone headset and I can't get it to work with Skype on my macbook - only the default microphone by the webcam works!

Do I have a faulty macbook or does it not accept microphones? Thanks.

agent42b

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
I have a microphone headset and I can't get it to work with Skype on my macbook - only the default microphone by the webcam works!

Do I have a faulty macbook or does it not accept microphones? Thanks.

I had the same issue. After installing Windows I realized that the line-in port can work quite well as a mic. As long as you're working in OSX, that port ain't gonna work with a mic. You'll have to buy an imic or a USB headset.

Basically the port can work as a line-in OR a mic-in. The soundcard can auto detect what type of signal you're inputting. At least, that's how it works in Windows. Under OSX, a mic just plain doesn't work. It's pretty obvious that apple simple has omitted this feature from OSX. It should really be fixed.

Im quite frustrated about this myself, consider a mic WORKS under windows in that port, using the very drivers that applies provides with bootcamp. weaksauce.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I actually did a search after I posted this and saw that the input isn't powered so it doesn't work with unpowered microphones. It is stupid!

I do query your point about it working in windows... I have Vista installed and my mic doesn't work in vista either!

So either your mistaken or I do have a broken line-in!

I wish I had some way to check!

agent42b

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
I actually did a search after I posted this and saw that the input isn't powered so it doesn't work with unpowered microphones. It is stupid!

I do query your point about it working in windows... I have Vista installed and my mic doesn't work in vista either!

So either your mistaken or I do have a broken line-in!

I wish I had some way to check!

My deepest apologies...it turns out you're right... they DONT work under windows either ... sigh. It's still a really big design flaw imo. But... I already bought the USB adapter so you could say I've surrendered!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.