Line in for Garageband

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jalagl, Jan 6, 2004.

1. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Hi Everyone.

Garageband is actually the software I've been waiting for - I can play the guitar an some piano, and I do write some music, but I'm right now at such amateur level that this is just the software I need.

The thing is I have a Ti Powerbook, which doesn't have a line in jack. I'm looking for a (preferably) inexpensive way of adding a line in to be able to connect my guitar and a Mic to the computer. So far I've only looked at the Griffin iMic , but I'd rather hear from someone that has used it, as well as other alternatives.

Any recomendations on this regard?

Thanks!!

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

iMic can be noisy (occasional clicks in recording) but overall it's okay.

3. rock6079 macrumors 6502

imic not for recording

even though you plan on using GarageBand and not more professional software like ProTools, look into spending about 150$ and buying this new M-Audio product on the apple store which will cover all of your audio input and output needs. trust me its worth the monet....

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...odCehxUa6Ja2HJ/0.0.7.1.0.5.21.1.8.1.4.0.0.1.0

the digidesign m-box is virtually the same product and is bundled with pro tools le and costs roughly 500$.

thisM-Audio product is a good buy for what you are doing. its not even worth using GarageBand with the iMic, its not made for audio recording to that extent.

4. therevolution macrumors 6502

I'm interested to know as well... any more recommendations? Any major disadvantages over using a USB device instead of a PCI card? In other words, is the sound quality that much different?

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There is also the Griffin PowerWave audio in/out device, which uses USB. It's about $100.

6. jalagl thread starter macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Is the iMic really that bad?
    I want to spend the least amount of money, since this is something I won't be making money of... I think my budget can stretch as far as $100.
    How about the other Griffin product, the PowerWave? (yes, I need to check out other companies' websites... just not sure where to start...)

Any other sub-$100 suggestions?

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

iMic is acceptable, but for something like recording into GarageBand, I think you'll want something with better quality. Don't worry about spending a bit more money - you'll get what you pay for. :cool:

8. warcraftmaster macrumors regular

9. therevolution macrumors 6502

10. warcraftmaster macrumors regular

Re: Re: sorry to say this

thx i dont know if that is good or bad:D