line in on 6 month old G5 broken

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by switchedanhappy, Feb 19, 2004.

1. switchedanhappy macrumors regular

i just tried to use a brand new mic with my g5's line (on the back) and the damn thing won't work. it doesn't receive any signal, it's like there is no mic. i tried a different mic and the same happened. any ideas? edit: I just tested it with my old pc and the mic worked.

2. unc32 macrumors regular

I have an idea. Call Apple and have them fix it for free. That is why your computer has a warranty.

3. switchedanhappy thread starter macrumors regular

hey buddy. the nearest apple store is like an hour away and I don't have a car. Don't you think that it is a bit easier for me just to see if it is fixable on my own instead of dragging my 4,000 dollar, 40 pound computer across the state?:rolleyes:

4. ratspg macrumors regular

That sucks, but they pay for shipping I believe, just get insurance on it and let them fix it you have the warranty.

5. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Did it work at any point? This may sound like a stupid question, but does it make any difference that the PowerMac G5 has Optical digital audio in? (As it says here.) :confused:

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

A lot of non-computer mics require "phantom power" (48v) or a mic preamp. Make sure what you're plugging in is supposed to go into a computer.

7. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Re: line in on 6 month old G5 broken

Relax. Nothing is wrong with your LINE-IN. Unlike PCs, Macs Input does not send any power to devices you plug into it. Which means, you're gonna have to find a way to power the mic itself. Easiest way to do is to plug it into a receiver, Stereo etc. Plug the wire from those devices to your input. (Yes, Apple can be a bitch).
    You can also buy a microphone that plugs into your wall outlet. Or perhaps the most popolar way (other that iSight) is to simply get USB mic.

8. switchedanhappy thread starter macrumors regular

wow thank you you guys. you all saved me a world of pain with apple tech support:rolleyes: :D :D

9. Reanne macrumors newbie

What about iParrot?? What is that?

What about iParrot?? What is that?
    :confused:

10. kanker macrumors 6502

Damn. I thought he was gonna have to become switchedanpissed.;) BTW, if you're using the mic for recording, I'd seriously look into getting a USB or FireWire audio interface at some point. The Apple line in ain't the greatest AD converter in the world.