line in port and internal mic switch

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tonywalker23, Feb 6, 2004.

1. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

PLEASE HELP ME
    i am a preacher and i want to start a radio broadcast. i was going to record the messages on my powerbook 12" so i bought a headset/mic to get better quality and such with a headset. i just "figured" that i could plug the mic jack into the line in but that doesnt seem to work. is there ANY way to get my powerbook to record from this mic? has anyone ever used a usb mic? what kind of pro/cons go with a usb mic?
    thanks

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Go to system preferences and click on Sound. Click the input tab and then select the Line-in from the list, rather than Internal Microphone. If you speak into the microphone, it should register on the input level below.

3. tonywalker23 thread starter macrumors regular

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Is it line in or USB? If it is line in, it should work. USB would require a driver.

To actually record, you would require a program, eg. Sound Studio, although you could use iMovie or GarageBand.

5. tonywalker23 thread starter macrumors regular

its line in, a plantronics .audio 90
    and im using sound studio, i changed all settings (mac os & sound studio) to use line in but it still isnt working??????

6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Sorry, I can't help you. One thing, this might sound silly but you have definately plugged it into the line on and not the headphone port (sorry, I'm not trying to say you're stupid!)?

My only other suggestion is that the sound from it is too quiet and that you need a pre-amp to boost the sound levels, but I'd have thought you'd at least get something.

Maybe someone else can help?

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Odd, I was having similar problem, but I had to close the lid and go back to my dorm. When waking it up there, I could use the line in. Weird huh?

Could you post a link or tell us what model of headset you have?

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

it says "works with windows" and "MacOS users may require an additional adapter". i'd look into what this means, they don't provide a lot of info-- but i'll bet it's the culprit.

paul