Line up for PS3

Discussion in 'Games' started by Shacklebolt, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

So, is there any way to just flat out get PS3 by showing up in a line and waiting? I've got a warm coat.

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, expect to show up 12-24 hours ahead of time minimum. You'll be spending the night.

3. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

there aren't going to be any lines due the fact that everyone knows that each store is only getting about 5 units. It'll be more like a dash.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There were 4 tents lined up next to the entrance at the Best Buy in Warwick, RI this afternoon (2 had been put up while I was inside.)

That's just ****ing sad.

5. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Damn. You know, why couldn't Sony just, you know... make enough of them?

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The Orlando, FL t.v. news showed people outside some store camped out already. They're not keeping the consoles, though. They said that they plan to sell them on eBay for $3000 each.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Because they're cool. Haven't you heard? It's the "in" thing to make a pitiful amount of consoles, cut features from the launch product and push back certain launch titles.

8. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Here we go again...:rolleyes:

9. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

I don't condone this but you can't blame them really. If people are willing to pay $3000 for them when you start the price at $1, more fool to them, they are the ones causing the problems.

Me, I don't need anything that badely so I'll wait 18 months and pick on up cheaper then.

10. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I found out there are 4 people at my Best Buy. So I am going today with a tent. I can't pass up the possibility of making $1000+ on this venture.

11. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

You won't. The market will be flooded with people like you trying to sell your PS3 and there won't be near enough buyers.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm just an annoyed consumer. Are people still making "Wii" name jokes? yup.
    I believe back when the PS3 was "all that" I was debating on which system to get (360 or PS3). PS3 for the backwards compatibility PS2, I missed a lot of PS2 games after all, and PS1 was up there with the SNES, IMO. I'm more pushed towards the 360 now but we'll see. March 2007? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm sure I'll wait until the consoles hit $129 before I spend again. I wonder how many people will come back with "I spent $1000 (or more) and it wasn't even worth it" rants.

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

At first, it pisses me off that this sort of thing happens.

But then I try and visualize the sort of person who would pay $2-3k for a video game console and the thought alone makes everything better.

15. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Give that, from what I've heard, almost everyone who is camping out for days in order to get a PS3 is only doing it so they can sell it on, prices are gradually being pushed down. Expect to make only a couple of hundred profit if that.

16. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Far too many people are trying to sell them on ebay, I wonder if it's even going to work. So many for sale there, I would chuckle if they were bought at or even below price.

I played a PS3 a couple days ago. Admittedly, it was a racing game, but I was not impressed at all. The BestBuy people kept coming around commenting on how beautiful it was, but I didn't think I would pay $60 for the game, let alone the price for the system.

Amusingly, the PS3 in the case it looked like you were playing on was just an empty shell. The real PS3 was underneath locked up in a box you couldn't see. Give me a break, do they really think someone is going to try to break into a glass case in the middle of BestBuy and take off with the PS3? :rolleyes:

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Because the Wii has the stupidest name of any system. Wii can be used so many (often perverted) ways. Its like Sony going " we are changing for PS3 PeeAss3!".

18. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

We will find out. People are paying $2000 for pre orders. I doubt demand drops off that much. I'm putting mine up on launch day, if i get one of course.

Someone paid me $600 for a Wii, and there is supposed to be a ton of those. THere will always be fools my friend.

19. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

I was told by our store's AP (Security) that we will be allowing people to camp out starting a 7 pm on the night before. So... if anyone was planning on going to target I suggest that you get there at 7 pm for camping. Also, our store in lincoln is getting like 4 of the $499 and 2 $699 PS3 and 24 Wii. So, I would also expect the numbers to be very very close to the other target stores.

For every 3 games you buy on the day of launch (has to be for the new console) you will recieve a $20 gift card. Example: If you buy 9 games then you will get 3 $20 gift cards.

Another thing, I would like to mention before any of you that would pester the hell out of the poor operators and electronics people about the consoles and reservations. We are not taking reservations however, we are doing a ticket system just like we did for XBox 360. basically we will hand out only the number of tickets of the number of systems we do have. According to the guide book that all stores recieved that the tickets are going to be handed out at 7 am on the launch day. There was also a mention of free popcorn and pop :). Anyhoo, hope this help answer questions for those who plan on getting one from Target.

Edit:
    Last night (11/14/2006) our Playstation vendor came in and did a product knowledge training on the new console. He did also mention that Sony has plans on having 2 million of these consoles shipped by the end of this year. So, you should be able to have another chance after Black Friday or maybe on that day. I would also be more than happy to answer some questions about the Playstation 3 compatibility with older console games and all.

20. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Prices have gradually gone up. The average eBay has gone from $1500 to $1700-$1900.

360 Last year was going for on average $3000 within days of launch. After that I expect it to drop off. $1000 is not out of the realm of possibility.

Even so, I think it will be fun. I have never camped for anything. And even if I only make a couple hundred. Oh well, I made something. And I am not losing work or school time.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

or like

"4D"
    "Dual 1080p"
    "upscale legacy games"
    "HD era starts when we say it starts"
    "You're getting it cheap"
    "It's a super computer!"
    "7 controllers!"
    " "entitlements" "
    "we're not about gimmicks... use the PSP as a rear mirror!"
    "Riiiiidge Raaaacer"
    "Actual battles that took place... giant enemy crabs!"
    "real time weapon change"
    "world wide launch!"

I find it hard to laugh at the same thing over, but there's never a dull week where Sony are concerned.

22. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^ at least they are getting you to laugh ;)

Any publicity is good publicity they say. And as long as people, such as yourself, keep whining about how crappy Sony is, all it does it get people hearing "Sony" all the time.

23. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I disagree with that. The PS3 has the most straightforward and logical (though unimaginative) name. The Wii has an odd name, but probably the most creative and makes a lot of sense once you understand it. I don't find it anymore stupid of a word than "we." I don't laugh when one of my friends says "we are going to go to the movies," just like I don't like when I say "Nintendo's new system is the Wii."

XBox 360 is just . . . . . I don't know. It doesn't make any sense to me. Can someone explain it? Why XBox? I understand the Box part, is X just because X is "cool"? 360? Why 360? All the consoles of the previous generation had games where you could move in 360 degrees. Why add 360 here? Just because it's a big number people recognize?

24. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

PS2 --> PS3
    Xbox --> Xbox 2

Oups, no good, we can't have a "version 2" when our competitor is at "version 3", can we?

How can we jump from 2 to 3? What cool number begins with a 3 that most people can recognize? A 360 of course! Let's just hope they don't realize that when you do a 360, you end up facing exactly the same direction as before and you didn't move at all. ;)

I plan on going to see the PS3 madness on friday, then go pick up my Wii at Toys'R Us on sunday. I'm supposed to be 10th on the pre-order list, so I'm pretty sure I'm getting one. :D

25. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I think they wanted it to represent a full revolution in gaming or something.

I always thought it would be NextBox or Xenon like it orignally was talked about.

And Ja Di ksw, I just think it's an odd choice of a name. It sounds cutesy and gimmicky (like the B Sharps), further pushing the kiddy image that Nintendo is trying so hard to shake. I know what they were going for with it, as in 'we' all play and two ii's together and all that jazz. I always liked Revolution better as it sounded bigger and like it was something really new, not a little kids toy. Plus it would have been easy to make some badass epic ads with a name like that. I understand they couldn't keep it for certain reasons (we shoudn't talk about Revolutions in Russia/China :D) but I dunno.

And yeah, PS3 is pretty unoriginal but PS2 is such a strong brand that they have no reason to mess with it.