Link to PDF does not open

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by hajime, Jan 6, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

Hi, I bought a rMBP 15" running Mountain Lion recently. Whenever I click to a link that points to a pdf file, a window is opened with the url of that pdf file location shown. However, the window is in blank white. No file is being downloaded nor opened. Could you please let me know how to fix this problem? Never had such issue on my old MBP running Snow Leopard. Thanks.

2. macrumors 68020

Are you talking about Safari, or another browser (or app)?

Have you installed Adobe Acrobat or Reader?

If you want to view PDFs directly in Safari:
    1. Delete the Adobe PDF plug-in in: /Library/Internet Plug-ins

2. Type (or copy) the following command into Terminal:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool false

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. I am talking about Firefox. I installed Adobe CS6 Master Collections including Acrobat X Pro.

Should check if I have the same problem with Safari as well. I am using another Mac right now.

4. macrumors 68020

Firefox is (or was) a bit different in how it handles PDFs. Are you sure they're not being downloaded?

I don't use FF myself. The days when it fixed all the problems that Safari had are long gone. But I'd be surprised if there weren't some instructions somewhere for how to display PDFs inline in FF.

5. macrumors member

I'm having the same problem. PDFs will open in Safari, but not Firefox. I prefer Firefox, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.