Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I bought a rMBP 15" running Mountain Lion recently. Whenever I click to a link that points to a pdf file, a window is opened with the url of that pdf file location shown. However, the window is in blank white. No file is being downloaded nor opened. Could you please let me know how to fix this problem? Never had such issue on my old MBP running Snow Leopard. Thanks.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Are you talking about Safari, or another browser (or app)?

Have you installed Adobe Acrobat or Reader?

If you want to view PDFs directly in Safari:
1. Delete the Adobe PDF plug-in in: /Library/Internet Plug-ins

2. Type (or copy) the following command into Terminal:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool false

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Are you talking about Safari, or another browser (or app)?

Have you installed Adobe Acrobat or Reader?

If you want to view PDFs directly in Safari:
1. Delete the Adobe PDF plug-in in: /Library/Internet Plug-ins

2. Type (or copy) the following command into Terminal:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool false

Thanks. I am talking about Firefox. I installed Adobe CS6 Master Collections including Acrobat X Pro.

Should check if I have the same problem with Safari as well. I am using another Mac right now.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Firefox is (or was) a bit different in how it handles PDFs. Are you sure they're not being downloaded?

I don't use FF myself. The days when it fixed all the problems that Safari had are long gone. But I'd be surprised if there weren't some instructions somewhere for how to display PDFs inline in FF.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
Firefox is (or was) a bit different in how it handles PDFs. Are you sure they're not being downloaded?

I don't use FF myself. The days when it fixed all the problems that Safari had are long gone. But I'd be surprised if there weren't some instructions somewhere for how to display PDFs inline in FF.

I'm having the same problem. PDFs will open in Safari, but not Firefox. I prefer Firefox, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.