Linkin Park singer just can't make up his mind

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LucasLand, Jul 15, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

2. macrumors regular

that guy is an idiot... ill just keep stealing his music... oh well

3. macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I don't think that the band members have anything to say or do concerning the marketing or sales of their music. Aren’t they an assembled group of performers who have writers and lyrists that create their songs?

Music downloads are the present and future of music sales.

4. macrumors 65816

yzedf

Linkin Park is a group of artists, true. But they write their own stuff.

For the last 30 yrs the music industry has moved away from singles and B sides. Many albums (Phish) are written to flow as one long piece. Songs out of order, or even just one or 2 played, don't make sense (in the opinion of the artist).

It is up to the artist to decide what they release for public consumption, and what format. Nobody told Picasso what to do or how to do it. It does not matter what you or I think. If they want to release all their songs on vinyl or 8 track only, then they can. Some bands still produce specials only available on vinyl (Pearl Jam for one) in very limited quantities.

Free market is about choice; choice of what to produce, sell, and buy. If you don't like it, tough.

5. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i for one wouldn't buy linkin park songs, much less albums. ;)

6. macrumors 6502

Foucault

I think each band has the right to do whatever they want with their music. Linkin Park is fortunate to have had the success from their first album that they are able to have the creative and marketing control that most bands don't have. So if they don't want to put their albums and songs in the ITMS, then they're the ones missing out on the missing revenue. I would prefer to give them my money to purchase some of their songs, but if they don't want my money, I'll find other ways to get their songs.

7. macrumors G4

Me neither, blech.

My 13 year old sister on the other hand...

8. macrumors regular

bitfactory

uh, yeah... let's be more careful with the analogies we draw between 'artists," shall we? :rolleyes:

9. macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

i wish that would be true. Most bands today produce tripe that iss not worth the plastic it's printed on, save a pair of songs. $14 for two songs sucks for me, but is great for the band.

I will pay $14 for a CD that plays as a "symphony", or download it for $9.99; I will buy a song I like for ¢99, but will not pay $14 for it.

10. macrumors regular

bitfactory

from the article:
    "Bands like us that have commercial success by selling records are in a different place than the bands that are in a lower playing field, so it's hard for us to really understand from our point of view.."

hmmm, yeah Chester - funny how a band that's been around forever (U2), and has sold more albums than you'll ever DREAM of selling, doesn't seem to have a problem with it. a little worried that your brand of 'crap-rock' is on the way out? i think so.

any band that's against selling their singles KNOWS their albums are uneven and unworthy of a complete buy.

(i'm just quietly waiting for the Indies to come on board)

11. macrumors 68040

tazo

I agree but I still think it is stupid for a group to turn down making more money and receiving even greater exposure.

Artists :rolleyes:

12. macrumors 6502a

jbomber

Hey, I like Linkin Park, and I agree that this is a bad move. I think it's because their last album, Meteora, was hardly worth the price. clocking in at an appallingly short 36 minutes it left a lot of people wondering why they paid $20 for it. Their previous albums were longer and better all around. Kind of unfortunate that i broke my 5 year ban on buying albums because of their subpar nature for that...

13. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Artists who are greedy aren't really "artists". You're not an artist unless you die poor. Just Abstract's 2 cents. ;)

And can someone please tell Linkin Park that the alternative is for people to d/l individual songs without paying for it? People are going to d/l music anyway. Would they rather people use Kazaa or iTMS?

I think I'll d/l a few of their songs anyway. I don't like their music, but I want to get their music anyway, have it sit on my computer. Bah, its not like I have to pay for it anyway. I tried to pay for it, but I couldn't find their songs!! Muahahahaha!!!! [​IMG]

14. macrumors 603

Nobody here gets it.

A paragraph from Chris' post:

I was talking to Chester for 10mins and Mike only for 5mins. I was asking them stuff like, whats your stance on sharing mp3s . Chester was all for it, he said that he saw it as a positive thing. He saw it as a great for people liking and download there music. And if they like it enough they will buy there album. and further on he says record sales are bigger than ever.

Read.

BTW: The author of that curlio article is a jackass.

15. macrumors regular

bitfactory

most of us "get it" - they don't want to sell their singles. what else is there to get? and their sales aren't up - their last album sold 5M, their latest just hit 2M and drops off considerably every week. the flavor of the month is hard genre to be involved in.

either way, don't say "Commercially successful bands like us..." shut yer hole is what i say - again, look to U2. the Joshua Tree sold 15M all by itself - how's that for 'commercial' ?

this conversation is a non-starter anyway - by the time their next release drops there will be a new flavor in favor.

16. macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

I was going to say something pithy, but then I realized that I should not waste the keystrokes on Linkin Park. I know we are all dumber for having read that article.

17. macrumors 604

iJon

well i love linkin park and i love every one of their albums and every song on them. but i do know some people dont and just maybe want 1 or 2 songs. but i downloaded all their albums and i was excited to legally purchase them on the iTMS but i will not buy their music until they hop on the bandwagon of the iTMS.

iJon

18. macrumors 603

>most of us "get it" - they don't want to sell their singles. what else is there to get? (bitfactory)

Single
    Single
    Single
    Single
    Single

Those are singles that LP is selling.

>and their sales aren't up - their last album sold 5M, their latest just hit 2M and drops off considerably every week. the flavor of the month is hard genre to be involved in.

Their last album, Hybrid Theory, is three years old. And Reanimation is almost exactly one year old. How can you compare album sales when one album is a year old (or more) and another is a few months old?

Meteora didn't just hit 2M. They hit 2M and still have contributing sales, just like Hybrid Theory is still selling, just like most albums are still selling, but at various paces.

>either way, don't say "Commercially successful bands like us..." shut yer hole is what i say - again, look to U2. the Joshua Tree sold 15M all by itself - how's that for 'commercial' ?

That's offtopic, not commercial.

>this conversation is a non-starter anyway - by the time their next release drops there will be a new flavor in favor.

Yet I started this conversation about Linkin Park's real mood. The author didn't find out exactly what Chester said first hand. Chris (i.e. mac15) did, and he is mentioned in my previous post.

That was how the conversation started. You, bitfactory, changed it.

19. macrumors regular

bitfactory

$12.99
    $12.99
    $12.99
    $11.99
    $9.49

respectively.

and the last one has two songs on it.

the point is, a band like this IS afraid to sell singles for $.99 when they fail to FILL an album with good content.

you didn't start this conversation. we were discussing certain bands and their reluctance to make their music available on ITMS. i couldn't care less what LP's 'mood' is. now THAT'S 'offtopic.'

20. macrumors 604

iJon

well i disagree, although neither of our point of views matter because it all based on opinions of music taste. i have all of linkin park's albums and every song is great in my opinion. i do have many albums where i dont like all the songs but lp's albums i like. all my friends who listen to linkin park love all the songs too. maybe they are scared but i dont think so, but im sure they more about their music being art since they write all their own music and rhymes, just like how they say in their song "Step Up"

iJon

21. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

this is turning real "i hate linkin park and they are stupid for not allowing people to buy their songs via ITMS" vs. "i love linkin park and all of you are stupid for not loving them."

let's get back to a discussion on if it's a matter of artists wanting their sales to be as full albums only or they just don't think it will help their sales.

22. macrumors 65816

I'll relunctantly accept that as a partial reason, however, if that were true, then singlwes would not be released, singles would not be played on the radio, and they would have one, long, 74 minute music video. So, for groups that don't get radio play and don't have any music videos I will accept your answer. Otherwise, RHCP and Metallica (wow, same company behind them) cant say **** because they have had singles on the radio and music videos as a single releases since their first albums. So that excuse makes no sense. "It's a whole continuos flow", flow this :rolleyes:

23. macrumors 603

>the point is, a band like this IS afraid to sell singles for $.99 when they fail to FILL an album with good content.

Here is the introduction to the ultimate music flamewar: What is music?

Music is simply art that individuals can listen to. you may not like the content, but I do.

I can listen to most Hybrid Theory, most of Reanimation, and all of Meteora and enjoy it.

>you didn't start this conversation. we were discussing certain bands and their reluctance to make their music available on ITMS. (bitfactory)

If I didn't start this conversation about something we have been discussing, then who started it?

>i couldn't care less what LP's 'mood' is. now THAT'S 'offtopic.'

The title of the thread is: Linkin Park singer just can't make up his mind

You've pinpointed yourself there.

24. macrumors 603

Same here. I also have a few unreleased songs. Step Up was also played on my local radio station (from NJ/NY) a while back.

I even mix up some of his songs. :D

But what LP chooses to have done with his music is up to them.

25. macrumors 604

iJon

yeah im not to worried. i personally fell the itms store will get extremly big and artists will be fools not to hop on.

iJon