Links Championship Edition

Discussion in 'Games' started by mwjd299, Feb 19, 2004.

1. mwjd299 macrumors regular

I've been trying desparately to find some recent reviews of this game, but with no luck. The Mac gaming sites have nothing at all.
    I have had the Windows version of Links 2001 and would like to get the upgraded version for the Mac. However, some early reviews of it are not good. This golf sim is far superior to Tiger Woods 2003.
    I have just bought a 20" iMac with 256 mb, and the standard 64 mb Nvidia 5200 graphics card. I know it will run, but a lot of people are reporting slow redraws and some blank screen problems. Does anyone run this game on the current iMac? How does it perform?

Thanks for you help!

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i had a quicksilver with geforce 4 mx... it ran dog slow in os x.. this was before jaguar... jaguar helped it a ton... and it ran fine in os 9...

that said, i didn't find the game interesting given no season type options and whatnot... got hooked on tiger woods for xbox...

if you decide to get the game, i'd be happy to sell it to you for pretty cheap. let me know if you're interested.... now that i just got done trshing it. hah

3. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Links Championship Ediition

I've had this game for some time but wasn't able to play it right on my G3. I upgraded the CPU to a G4-500 chip and bought a Radeon 7000 32mb video card, and now all is well.
    I'm at work right now and need to get back. I'll post my review when I get home tonight. But I will let you know one thing---- AWSOME!!!!!!

Sparky.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I run Links CE on my Ti400. I love the game; I'm almost addicted to it. It worked fine in Jaguar, but I can't get it to run natively in Panther--I have to run it in Classic mode. It definitely stretches my CPU resources, but it runs fine. I imagine it would run beautifully on your 20-incher, but perhaps only in Classic mode. I'm hoping that 10.3.3 will solve the problems running this app natively.

Edit: I just saw that you have only 256 megs of RAM. I'd strongly recommend at least another 256--which runs about $50 right now from Crucial.com--or even 512. Then everything should run fine.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I gave the game to my dad who is still on Mac OS 9.x and I had to swap some RAM so that he had 512 MB because it is most definitely OpenGL-intensive. Be prepared to have 1 GB on Mac OS X for good gameplay.

It's a good game and looks great too.

6. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Links Championship Edition

OK, sorry about the delay, forgot I bowl on Friday nights. Anyway after upgrading my G3 to a G4 and placing the new video cerd the game (on OS 10.2.8) runs just fine. I ahve also had Links LS 2000 fro MAC and I played that one to death. The Graphics on LCE are far superior and the playing is as they say. The mathematics computed to allow the ball flight and swing have been well improved. The game plays so realistic infact that there are some bugs that develope. For instance, on a par 4 you hit your second shot just short of the green on what I guess is the first cut. The game gives you a pitching wedge (based on your caddy preferences) and you aim the shot acording to wind and lay and elevationm and hit what you think should be the perfect shot, but ALAS!! the ball travels 2' and you're still on the fringe!!! what gives?? I have even tried to play a practice round and when I simulate the exact circumstances the ball ends up 4" from the cup, but when I go back to tournament play I end up screwed!! go figure.
    For the record my system is:
    see attached file

I love the game
    Sparky

7. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Sorry to keep posting but I don't know how to place images in line yet. there were a few things I forgot to mention. In Links LS 2000 you could change the "outfit" of the vertual player you selected, by being able to select different color shirts ro pants, NO CAN DO in Champion ship Edition. though you can now select Right or Left hand player (being a lefty myself I like that) but if I choose Mike Wier (computer player animation) for my golfer persona, and I play against Mike Wier, we both look the same (NOT GOOD). Also they fixed the cheat situation. You used ot be able to save a "tournament" in LS2000 and if you didn't like your shot just re-start the game and do it again (until you got it right) I have posted tournement scores of 58 doing this. OK so I like to win. In Champinship edition though no can do. You just need to be good at the game. :>)
    So, there is my review, in 2 parts
    Sparky

8. mwjd299 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for you replies, especially Sparky. For the record, Sparky, I also bowl on Friday nights in a suburb of Chicago.
    I will probably get the game and see how it runs, and probably add more memory.
    My only concern is running the game in Panther. I have seen some problems on other message boards, specifically, the http://www.linksgolfcommunity.com/

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, there are some OpenGL issues--it looks like things are loose and u can see the light in-between but Apple should have that fixed shortly.

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

How does this game compare to Tiger Woods 2003?

I like TW 2003, although the required specs are quite steep.

11. mwjd299 thread starter macrumors regular

I have had the Windows version of Links since it's early days. I currently have Links 2001 on my 5 year old IBM. The specs on it are too low to run Links CE or Links 2003. I have not seen Links CE on the Mac yet. For my money Tiger Woods 2003 cannot compare to Links CE for the quality of the graphics. The trees and course objects look like pictures. And I'm comparing it to Links 2001. Playability is about the same, both have powerstroke, or TruSwing on TW 2003. The major difference though is the course designer included with Links CE. I have the Course Designer with Links 2001. Many people have designed courses for Links. You can download many fine courses from http://www.sportplanet.com/links/courses/fileplanet.asp

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Wow.. That sounds gr8!

Reading posts above, there seem to be problems with it running on Panther, but otherwise this sounds far superior!
    Gotta try it :)

tnx!

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'd say the graphics are no contest, and probably realism too.

but the gameplay options are limited... there's no season/career type features if i remember correctly... and that's what i'm all about. so i'm still hooked on tiger woods... hah

14. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

With LCE, you get side-view "movies" of actual people with their sometimes wise-cracking comments, while TW has animated 3D simulations of golfers (which of course looks fake).