Linksys B router problem/162 IP address

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Patrick Bateman, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Patrick Bateman macrumors member

Sep 10, 2003
    Hi, I just had a linksys b router with a 4 port switch installed and to usually get a valid IP address starting with 192. I have to unplug the wireless router for around 30 seconds and replug in. This resets the address my ibook gets. Usually has a 168. address which doesn't work. I'm new to this stuff but I'm guessing it's the router or the primary computer it's set up to (windows desktop). Any suggestions for settings changes, hardware changes, downloads or anything else? Thanks.

P.S. I will hit the renew DHCP lease when I get the invalid IP address and it wont give me a new address. Only when I have a valid one will hitting that button give a new address, which has always been another good one.
  2. labratmatt macrumors newbie

Nov 18, 2003
    I had problems with my AE card working with my Netgear 802.11b router at first. I was experiencing the same type of problems you are describing. To fix my router issues, I download a firmware update from netgear’s site. Fixed it immediately! Maybe you can get a similar update at the Linksys site.
  3. physicsnerd macrumors member

Feb 25, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    If it's the BEFW11S4 that's your problem. That wireless router is total junk. I know, I have one and I can't get the store I purchased it at to take it back and linksys is no help. Linksys tells me that the router works perfectly fine and if not to take it back to the store I bought it at, who of course won't take it back becase when they test the router it works. The problem with the router is that the firmware crashes after so long or when you first hook up to it. That's why you have to reboot the router. I have talked to several people with this router and they've all had the same problem.

RETURN IT. It's total junk. If anyone out there is looking for a wireless router avoid the linksys BEFW11S4. I've heard good things about the D-Link .b router but I've never owned one. I can tell this will be the last linksys product that I ever own.

If you can't return it for what ever reason. I have found a work around that hasn't crashed the router in about a month. I use the 4-port switch on it to connect to my windows XP box. If I leave the PC on and logged in all the time the wireless router doesn't crash. It doesn't really matter to me because there's a phone port right next to my PC and so i just stick the DSL modem near the computer. It was really frustrating at first till I figured this out because I was trying to connect to both through wireless. Everytime I booted either my PC or my Tibook I had to restart the router and the router would ofter crash after an hour or two of use.
  4. niallerc macrumors member

Oct 21, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland

I have a d-link 614+ wireless .b router and it works like a dream, have two xboxes (1 wired 1 thru a d-link 810+), 1 g3 laptop thru an asante card and a G5 thru AE to it and have no problems with it at all.

Patrick is the 168.x.x.x address your ibook getting self assigned (ie mac osx is giving it that address?) if your problem persists turn off dhcp in the router and try manually assigning addresses to each machine you need to hook to the router so if your router address is as follows: then your ibook should be and so on make sure the subnets are the same and the router address in the network pane should be the

Also check for WEP (encryption) settings, my entire network goes crazy when I turn on WEP though it isn't a problem here as nobody else has wireless.

Hope it helps.