Linksys Drivers - Mac Friendly?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Marble, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Marble macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2003
    Tucson, AZ
    My roommate decided to purchase a Linksys 4-port router for our dorm room, so we could both share the single internet jack in the wall. A hub would have been sufficient, of course, but not being technically minded, this looked to him the best option. Anyway, now I'm stuck with this box (the BEFSR41) that doesn't have any Macintosh drivers. Is this just trash to me or will I actually be able to use this thing?
  2. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    You don't need any drivers. It providers you with an Ethernet connection and that's all. The router adds a layer of security that a hub does not. Plug your system in and make sure DHCP is turned on your system and go from there.
  3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

Lanbrown is correct, its a router and therefore needing no more drivers than a router farther upstream say, at your ISP.

The router is configured through your browser.

Your roomate was correct in using a router rather than a hub because with just a hub - you guys would only be able to surf with only one machine at a time as the wall socket would most likely only give you guys one IP address via DHCP doling. You need a router to itself use that IP, then assign unique ones in your room so you both could use the connection - this is the purpose of routers.

I've owned the BEFSR41 and it is a fine machine, it'll do you well. If you ever do need to expand beyong the four ports of the BEFSR41, all you need is a hub connected to it. The BEFSR41 is capable of supporting 100 LAN IP addresses at a time.