Linksys Mac OS X Compatible?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Over Achiever, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I still haven't bought the tibook yet, but when I do, my printer will work, and maybe my scanner too (Visioneer) through TWAIN support. Now since the tibook has lousy reception and I have a wireless PCMICA card (Linksys Instant Wireless Network PC Card model WPC11) will it work with MacOSX? I found drivers for windows, windows ce, and linux, but no mac. Does the card "just work" with mac os x, is there shareware/freeware that helps, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

2. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Re: Linksys Mac OS X Compatible?

If there's no drivers on Linksys site it probably wont work, but I'd try Apples drives and see if you can get it to work. There may be linux drives that could be made to work too. I'd also try other companies drivers. If they have a mac os x version. Let us know what happens. I have an Onirioco card, but I don't have a portable mac yet.

3. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Well...

I have used the Linksys card in my old Powerbook 1400 (and OS 8.6), but have never tried it with my TiBook.

Just a thought--one of my employees uses the Lucent wireless card and the Linksys card interchangeably, using only the Lucent driver. Granted, he is using an HP laptop with Win98, but it leads me to believe that their hardware can't be all that different, and the drivers might be interchangeable in OS X, as well. Having said all that, I don't know if there is an OS X driver for that card, either. I think they sold that division (Orinoco) a couple of years ago.

Lastly, I use my TiBook wirelessly at home and work. I don't have many reception problems at all. My wife's iBook has more robust reception throughout the house, but mine is not too bad. Have you tried the Airport card in the TiBook yet? It's nice not having a clunky card sticking out of your laptop.

Chris

4. Over Achiever thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Re: Well...

Nope haven't tried it when I haven't gotten around to buying it yet...;) I heard a lot of bad stuff about reception, and since I have my linksys card from my previous pc, i thought it might help. Thanks for the suggestion, i'll try out the reception at my college when it get the tibook and if it sucks, I'll try the different drivers.

Onirioco is the card the university suggests to buy...i'll check their drivers.

Thanks ya'll for your help.

5. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

Yes, they have drivers for those cards. I don't have the exact site right now being Im not home (private message me SOON, because Im leaving for Iceland Friday!) but search at Sourceforge.net if you can't reach me. But there are alot of third party drivers there, so Im sure it's one of them.

6. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

7. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

And for the 10.2 drivers...

from the author of the drivers about 10.2 compatability...

=-=-=
    Hi all,

I've (finally) posted a build of the driver built for OS X 10.2 to my iDisk. The can be reached via the following URL: <http://homepage.mac.com/robm>

This installer is a preliminary release. I will post to SourceForge in the usual place and make an announcement to VerstionTracker once I've had a few feedback reports.

This build is, essentially, a top-of-tree build from the CVS archives. I have made several changes to it to support compilation under Jaguar and have added a few lines of code towards trying to solve the AppleTalk issue, although I haven't had any opportunity to test that yet.

Let me know how you make out with it and I'll get whatever changes done that need to be made and make a final announcement.

-Rob McKeever
    robm@mac.com
    =-=-=

8. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

hey.. so are the old drivers on sourceforge incompatible with jaguar..?

will the driver on your site support all cards the soureforge on does..?

thanks.. ive been looking for something like this for a while..

-f

9. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

First of all, I have no real experience with any of this. I was just browsing the Slashdot story on the OS X review, found this, and remembered this thread. I personally use Airport cards.

My impression of this is that the sourceforge drivers won't work with Jaguar. The drivers on the auther's homepage (not my homepage!) are works in progress and will eventually be put onto sourceforge.

Hope this helps.

Taft