Linksys Networking

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by phonemonkey, Dec 10, 2004.

1. phonemonkey macrumors regular

I have aquired a Linksys Wireless-B Router. I have my DSL service through Verizon and my modem is a Westell Versalink 327w, which is also wireless and set up fine (I can connect to the internet when using ethernet). My question is this:
    I have a computer in another room that I would like to set up to share the DSL, but without running ethernet through the house or using hpna adapters. Is the Linksys router capable of communicating with another wireless router and if so how do I go about getting things setup? I played around with it and couldn't figure it out and when I called Linksys tech support they had no clue as to what they were talking about.
    Thanks,
    Phonemonkey

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Im guessing your modem's signal doesn't reach to where you are trying to connect wirelessly?

According to this, sounds like you need a Ethernet Wireless Bridge (WET11) connected to the WAN port of your linksys. This will allow it to pick up an IP from your Westell, and then you have the option to disable DHCP on the linksys using the control panel (you wouldn't have to), so anything that would connect to it *should* pick up an IP from the Westell instead of the linksys.

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...2hfdGV4dD1qb2luIGV4aXN0aW5nIG5ldHdvcms*&p_li=

3. phonemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

The signal reaches...here's what happened. I am used to using cisco routers, so since cisco and linksys are of one, I picked one up thinking they would be able to talk. Turns out there is no way, so I saved 15 bucks and got a usb adapter from dlink and after the ebate I will be spending only 30 bucks. I couldn't believe a wireless router that cannot connect to ther wireless networks. Oh well. You're right though, that bridge would have worked also. They run around 100+ us dollars though.
    Thanks again,
    Phonemonkey