Linksys rocks!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wmmk, Nov 5, 2006.

1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

Hey all. Just dropped that Belkin which I had so many support threads on in the trash. Wow. Feels nice. The Belkin was busted for a month, and I had to use my mom's PC to use the net, which meant no IM and no iTS, as she doesn't like me installing anything on her HP. Anyway, we bought a Linksys today, and it's great!

2. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

3. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Good luck, my Linksys lasted all of 2 hours before it crappped put. Hopefully yours will do better.

4. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

"Linksys rocks!" really?, the routers are a pain in the ars!

5. needlnerdz macrumors regular

needlnerdz

While they may be a pain in the arse... they are most awesome if you are the neighbor of a linksys wireless router.. 9/10 times, a password is never set on the wifi... thankyou linksys

6. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

what do you mean by "no mac support"?
    i am currently connected to the internet via a linksys router:confused:

7. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I wish I could do the same. We have two of them (for some really stupid bridging thing) and they constantly drop the connection. And when I got my laptop and I tried to connect it for the first time, all of a sudden the bridging stopped working and it still didn't let the laptop connect.

What model did you get? I've been thinking of getting some soon. Maybe I'll ask for one (or two) for Christmas.

8. downhillboy86 macrumors member

I HATE MY LINKSYS ROUTER!!!! I've had nothing but problems. :eek:

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

The software that comes with them is Windows only.

Of course, nobody needs software to use a router :)

I've got a whole office full of Linksys stuff providing the network for my Macs. Flawless, after a few firmware updates :p

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Linksys was once the king of the mountain, but this router I have from them currently is a total POS.

They slashed the internal memory on their units and put a new, low-memory, far more unstable firmware into place to make up for it. It's godawful.

11. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I have a Linkysis and theres only 1 problem-every 2/3 weeks the internet will drop out but I'll still be connected too the router. A simple turn off/on fixes it. Its much better than my old Netgear, which was broken in less than a week (and at christmas too!).

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Linksys products are the worst, overpriced POS things I've ever had the misfortune of buying six of.

Five of them failed, some just days or weeks after their warranty expired. The only one that still works is a 16-port hub, and likely only because it would be pretty hard for anyone to screw a hub up.

I really enjoy my SMC router now.

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I should mention that after my WRT54G began dropping every wireless connection in the house every 10 minutes (no exaggeration), I installed third-party DD-WRT firmware on it, which works like a charm except my Macbook (and my Macbook alone) has begun to randomly drop the network when on battery power.

But not when plugged in.

Huhh?

14. bartelby macrumors Core

I've had a wired and a wireless Linksys router and they've both been great!

15. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Haha... so true. :D

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Username: admin
    Password: admin

Gotta love it!

17. ddekker macrumors regular

Linksys

love my linksys at home and work... linksys is owned by the largest network company there is (cisco) the reality of it is writing software for setup for a platform as small as apple is at this time is hardly worth it, its not that hard to set up a linksys router with just your web browser.. and the admin admin thing is funny... and sooo true, its fun to hop on and print things on open wireless printers...lol... go in and set the password to something other than admin so they can't turn wep on or anything...lol... I haven't done these things but trust me I thought of it...

DD

http://trialsoftheswitch.com/index.php/2006/09/30/25/

18. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Uhh, I don't think the majority of Linksys complaints out there are entirely because there are no setup utilities for Mac OS X.

Regardless, lots of companies manage to write Mac setup utilities, so that is a lazy excuse.

19. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I have only used one Linksys Wireless router about 2 years agao and it was a POS, it always just froze randomly, and needed to be reset, which was a pain cause I was sharing an internet connection with my neighbor upstairs, and if he wasn't home and it froze, (which was at least once a week) I'de have to wait for him to come home to reset it. Sometimes he was gone for 2-3 days at a time. You'd think Cisco could make a quality product, but apparently not... :) I convinced him to replace it with a Netgear and it was great. I have had my current Netgear Wireless router for a year, and it has never froze, or dropped the wireless connection. Netgear makes good stuff.

I've also had friends with bad Linksys products

20. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Wow really I only had one problem with my belkin router that got a surge and would not power up. They replaced it free of charge since they have life time warr. no problem here also since my 4 port router went bad and they upgraded me to the wireless one

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I had a Belkin fail too. A lot more Linksys failures though.

My SMC is strong though its getting old and still works great.

22. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well you really can’t beat there Lifetime warrantee. As far as there support well I can’t say they helped since some of them barely speak English.

23. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Mine's been networking to the wife's laptop hp for one year now, not a single problem. It's very reliable and strong enough to giver her freedom to roam from the bedroom to the backyard, no worries. Enjoy!:)