linksys router config help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by krohde, Aug 27, 2003.

1. krohde macrumors member

Hi,

I have just bought a linksys Wireless Access Point Router with 4-Port Switch for a friend back in europe (im in the us at the moment and they are cheaper here) but I have to install this router for him in his dorm room where he uses the campus network. The network uses DHCP and server logon (win2000), but i was wondering if the router is going to create problem for the wireless usage since it distributes its own range of IP's on the WiFi network. Has anyone ever tried this before, and if so, do you have any tips?

Thanks

KR

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

a lot of schools get very very angry when students set up their own networks, especially wireless networks. just be warned that i know of people who have lost internet access because of this. make sure to check the internet usage regulations from the school.

no, it shouldn't cause a problem. wireless routers generally use an IP range of 192.168.1.X...large scale systems for campuses almost always do not use anything that starts 192.168.X.X

3. ackfeldwire macrumors newbie

No worries

There should not be any problem with using your own wireless system anywhere. Just make sure that in the setting for the Linksys router You do not broadcast the ssid. Also set up the WEP section of the router this will ensure that no one will be able to enter your network without your authorization. Remember that You will have a system at a university where thier will most likely be people that are studying how to break into these systems. So take goo precautions and you should have not problems.

Good Luck

4. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Also, by plugging in the WAN port into the campus network it will receive an IP address automatically. Make sure the LAN and the WAN are on different subnets, otherwise routing will not work. Then you can enable DHCP on your LAN subnet without affecting the campus network.

I agree with disabling SSID broadcasting. That makes for a less noticeable network. Also, set static MAC filters so only certain NIC's are allowed to connect wirelessly. Keep in mind that it may be possible to be held negligible if someone outside gets on the campus network that doesn't belong. You might want to check the university's policies on this first.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: linksys router config help

errrr... the purpose of a router is to do precisely that.

6. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Re: Re: linksys router config help

Well, usually one of the roles of a SOHO router is to act as a DHCP server. But, business-class routers most always do not do this.

Just being overly technical, I know... :)

7. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Re: linksys router config help

But they can, it is just not on by default in most cases.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

actually, i should have been more specific:

the purpose of the router is to handle traffic between two networks. i.e. the poster is worried about the different sets of IP addresses -- it's supposed to be that way.