Linksys router gone bad? Should I try using OS as router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Poeben, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Poeben macrumors 6502

So, I have been having speed issues lately and have isolated it to the linksys 4 port router. I have the original v.1 befsr41 or whatever it is which has worked fine for me for several years. Now I can't get speeds above ~2mb/s through the router but I can get ~8mb/s connected direct to the modem. I don't think it is a setup issue and I have tried all sorts of troubleshooting like:

1. swapped cables
    2. reset modem, router
    3. checked all settings on router
    4. tried on multiple machines (all macs)

So before I go and buy a new, probably another linksys. router anything else I should check? Alternatively, anyone have any links on setting up OS X (client) as a router with NAT?

Thanks

2. belvdr macrumors 601

If you have dual ethernet ports, it simply a matter of turning on Internet Sharing in Preferences.

However, I'd suggest getting another Linksys, WRT54G to be exact.

3. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

Ti_Poussin

4. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Just go and get another Linksys router. I agree with WRT54G or WRT54GS if you want faster wireless

5. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Yea if you have the cash available a hardware solution is better. Linksys is generally good, but I'll note that recent firmware revisions on the WRT54G have had issues with IPSec VPNs for some reason (at least Microsoft's). No clue why.

My current favorite is a Cisco PIX 501, but its not a consumer router.

6. belvdr macrumors 601

Interesting. The latest firmware for the WRT54G v3 works great with my Nortel VPN. Which version of the router do you have?

Nor is it just a router. :)

7. Poeben thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. I got another linksys router and it solved the problem. I hate when things don't break all the way.