Linksys to iMac w/ Airport - Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Cooknn, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I just set up a little wireless network that starts at a Sprint DSL Modem acting as a bridge to a Linksys 802.11b wireless router. In one room which is only about 15 feet away there is an iMac G5 with an Airport Extreme card. The iMac see's the linksys network and allows the Linksys router to assign an IP address using DHCP - but only if the router is reset. The PC with wireless works fine. If the Mac has been rebooted it connects to the linksys network fine, but assigns itself an invalid IP address. As mentioned the only remedy is to reboot the router...

Is there something I can do on either the Mac or the Linksys to get the Mac to grab the right IP address on reboot? I don't want to have to run Cat 5...

Thanks in advance.

2. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

update the router to the latest firmware, im 99.99999% sure this will work. I had the same problem (had to reset router before my Powerbook would assign a valid IP), I updated the router to the latest firmware, and bam its been working flawlessly :)

3. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

4. dkeninitz macrumors regular

Had the same problem. I run a Linksys wireless router that has multiple PC's plus a TiBook with an Airport card. Updating the firmware on the Linksys solved the problem.